G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March Muscle car review

5 posters

Go down

March Muscle car review Empty March Muscle car review

Post by ant7377 Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:38 pm

There is a nice multiple page feature in the March muscle car review of a 74 Laguna S3 w/454.
Nice car,is the owner a member here ?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

March Muscle car review Empty Re: March Muscle car review

Post by The Dude Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:30 am

Not to my knowledge. I saw it last night in Walmart. Nice white/maroon 74 running 13's in pure stock I believe. Quoted as weighing somewhere near 4,600 lbs though. C'mon seriously?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:30 pm

3600 is believable, but 4600 is what a 74 Caprice weighs. Heck the heaviest A-body was the wagons and I think they just barely broke 4100 pounds.

I'll check out the mag next time I'm at the store.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:15 pm

That's what I say. This is the third 73-77 Chevelle that I've seen quoted over 4,200 lbs. Must have some fat A$$ owners or something, LMAO!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:31 pm

Can anyone post a copy of this article? Or have a link?
Our Walmart didn't have it.

And, my '77 mutt weighed 4125 with me in it. And I'm a 140lb. fat a$$...
The cars are heavy if you don't lose the bumper bracing and the door i-beams.

Thanks -

Jerry
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:56 pm

i put mine on a truck scale and it weighted 1880 kgs which is around 4150 lb. im about 80 kgs (175lb). there was a spare tyre in the trunk and some tools too, and not much gas. it has an aluminium intake, exhaust that ends in front of the rear axle without cat and headers.

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:23 am

I'll search around Jerry. My printer went on the fritz or I'd post a scan of it.

I weighed my old 76 back in the day on a CAT scale & remember it being around 3500 lbs. Base model, 350/350, bench seat, headers & duals, no AC, everything else stock. That was without me in it.

The more I read on how most everyone else's are so damn heavy, the more tempted I am to build my car as a DD & quit wasting money trying to build a drag car. I really gotta go weigh the current 76 to see where I sit with no AC, aluminum intake, gutted front bumper, & soon to be a lightweight set of buckets to make up my mind though. I also have a manual steering box if I have to drop some more weight off of the front & heaters are for sissies so that can go too.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 pm

My '77 is 4000lbs. +/- 140lbs of fuel (22g). Street car crap adds lots of weight.

Long ago, we had '74 Chevelle oval track car, which was a stripped production car with a roll cage in it, and minimum weight was 3000lbs. and getting to the minimum was a tough order. Doors were just the outer skins, interior body reinforcement was all cut out, trunk cut out, and the cowl cut out (even in door hinge area). When you start with a heavy car, there is only so much you can take out of it.

Think if you started with a 2800lb. Chevy Monza. The rough rule of thumb, gain 1/10 second for every 100lbs. So a lightened 3800lb. Chevelle vs. a 2800lb. Monza with the same power gives 1 second to the Monza. Better hope the Monza doesn't hook up.

Yeah, these G3s are great street cars but it would be a shadow of itself in order to be a great race car.

Thanks -

Jerry
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down