G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

headliner

+11
abajc3
1973 454 MONTE
1973chevelle
Limey SE
pila
74Malibu383
74MonteCarlo
texan01
The Dude
JB2wheeler
IndyG3
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

headliner - Page 3 Empty Re: headliner

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon May 02, 2011 3:59 pm

photos!
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon May 02, 2011 7:47 pm

It's great to hear that they are available for a 4-door sedan. It's a good thing that I'm poor, or I would have Chevelles of every model around here!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Mon May 16, 2011 10:22 pm

tomorrow me n my mom are going to tackle the headliner and all of my new crushed velvet interior pannels, ill let yall know when its all done and how it went
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon May 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Sometimes a hair-dryer to warm up the area that's prone to wrinkles helps to get the material stretched a bit to get it smoothed out.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue May 17, 2011 12:20 am

pila wrote:Sometimes a hair-dryer to warm up the area that's prone to wrinkles helps to get the material stretched a bit to get it smoothed out.

AND STRONGLY ADVISED

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Tue May 17, 2011 6:51 pm

yeah me and mom got the headliner and all the pannels in today took about 6 hours all together, and i will need to get a hair dryer after it it is wrinkled preety good, but ill b happy with it no matter what because me and my family do all the work no professionals involved afro
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue May 17, 2011 11:51 pm

Good for you! Not only did you get the interior done, you got to share the experience with your mom...awesome!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Thu May 19, 2011 1:29 pm

yeah my mom helps with all the cleaning and interior work, she wants a job in a shop but cant find one
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu May 19, 2011 3:36 pm

well come see me for the day she can do my interior while you help me get the motor in LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:48 pm

we just got my dads truck done, have u seen it on fb?
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:49 pm

As I'm about to install the headliner in my Monte I have some questions:

1. Can I just attach all the bow clips and put the panels on later, or should it be done at the same time?

2. Is glue only applied in the front and rear?

3. Do the seat belt retractors go under the headliner, or do they clamp it against the roof. If the latter, is it enough to cut holes for the bolts, or should i cut a big square for the retractor?

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:59 pm

glue goes on all 4 sides

headliner first than everything after.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:26 pm

attach the clips first, than start to glue it all around. use spray on adhesive, otherwise youre gonna have a mess. it also stays soft fore a short while so you can still make some adjustments. dont worry about spraying it on the seats etc., it will peel off easily when dry. dont worry about using too much either, just make sure to glue only so much material that it gets covered with plastic moldings at the end.

it really isnt hard to do, you just need some patience and feeling for details.

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:27 am

Thanks for the answers. But what about the retractors, question 3 in original post?

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:11 am

unfortunately i dont remember that. maybe some of the guys could take their cover off and snap some photos. i would do that, but i´ll be at the university for the next 2 weeks

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:38 am

When I removed mine it looked as if the liner had been cut after having been installed over any openings that required clips or things such as the rear seat belt retractor covers. Wish I had some pics of it with all the trim off before stripping it off, sorry.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:47 am

I believe you are over-thinking this. All I know is, when removing nice headliners that I am trying to preserve, I always remove the retractors first as there is always at least one edge that is pinched under the retractor. You've got at least 1-2" of overlap with the retractor trim pc, so you don't need to be precise on the cut. If it were me, I'd glue the headliner in place and do the trim cut afterwards. Start with a smaller cutout and increase the size as needed to get the retractor in place. I've got a used headliner I could show you if that would be of any help.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:25 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:I believe you are over-thinking this. All I know is, when removing nice headliners that I am trying to preserve, I always remove the retractors first as there is always at least one edge that is pinched under the retractor. You've got at least 1-2" of overlap with the retractor trim pc, so you don't need to be precise on the cut. If it were me, I'd glue the headliner in place and do the trim cut afterwards. Start with a smaller cutout and increase the size as needed to get the retractor in place. I've got a used headliner I could show you if that would be of any help.

Would be great If you could take a picture of the area. But in a way I got the answer in your post, as I wondered if the retractor had a function of clamping the headliner down, and thus tightening it against the roof in the sides.

Thanks

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

headliner - Page 3 Empty Re: Headliner

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Here is a pic of a cutout for the retractor on the driver side (looking at it from the front). If you look closely, you can see the shadow line where the retractor trim pc covers the opening. As you can see, the cut doesn't need to be that precise. Honestly, I don't think they intended to purposely pinch the fabric down with the retractor.

headliner - Page 3 77mont12
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:12 pm

I'll be out tomorrow searching for stuff. I'll take a pic of a headliner with and without the retractor in place and note how or if it's pinched in place.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:29 am

That picture was very good, I think I've got a good plan on how to do it now. Thank you Mcarlo77!

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:51 pm

Anyone by chance have a sewing pattern for the headliners? I found some carbon fiber that is bonded to a cloth backing, thought about doing up a headliner with it. If not I'll just take my old torn one to the local seamstress and see if she can "reverse engineer" it. Laughing
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum: