G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

headliner

+11
abajc3
1973 454 MONTE
1973chevelle
Limey SE
pila
74Malibu383
74MonteCarlo
texan01
The Dude
JB2wheeler
IndyG3
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

headliner - Page 2 Empty Re: headliner

Post by texan01 Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Does anyone know if the aftermarket kits fit the 4 doors? I've got two big rips in my green headliner.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:11 pm

I would think the 4-door would use a longer headliner, since the wheel base is longer etc. Best way may be to call around to the usual suppliers and ask.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:32 pm

There is a '77 Malibu 4-dr sitting in one of the yards up here that I think has a green interior. Could check on the headliner next week if you can't find a new one.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:24 pm

pila wrote:I would think the 4-door would use a longer headliner, since the wheel base is longer etc. Best way may be to call around to the usual suppliers and ask.

Last time I called OPG about carpet (granted 10 years ago) they didn't have a clue. I now know they ship longer two piece carpet that will work on my one-piece tatters.

I figured the 4" stretch would come into play on the roof as well, I'll call them again and see if they know better.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:There is a '77 Malibu 4-dr sitting in one of the yards up here that I think has a green interior. Could check on the headliner next week if you can't find a new one.

Man if that car were down here, I'd be all over it like a cheap suit. I need a lower drivers front door panel, a passenger upper B-pillar trim, and the narrow 1/4 window trim on both sides, along with a head liner and a dash bezel. That would save me from having to get paint to match the rest of the interior since Im keeping the green, it's got a perfect back seat that I don't have to recover.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:43 am

I'll be heading out to that yard one day this week. Be happy to see if it's what I think I remember it to be...and, take some photos if it is. Only other question is whether there were more than one shade of green used in those years?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:18 am

Yes, there were more than one green colored interior. One way to judge green is how much blue and how much yellow it has in it. My interior has a lot of yellow in the green and is called "apple green". Mine is a 74 model and differant years have just enough differance in the colors that they are called differant names. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:31 pm

Yeah...I checked the Auto Color Library @ TCPGlobal and they describe the two greens on '74's as Med. Grn and Dark Grn. For the '77's, just one...a Dark Sage Grn.

On a side note, there are two light brown/saddle colored interior wagons out there. Anyone need anything off those? Maybe grab a headliner in case someone needs one down the road? Don't imagine those are being reproed.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Mine's got some blue in it, some of the panels have faded enough that in the right light, it looks blue. It's also a 77 so I'm guessing its sage green.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Okay, then...let's hope for the best!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 am

The '75 Elco body I bought had a green interior (or what was left of it) I have the trim for the front windshield, front kick panels, and the pieces around the back window. It's sort of a medium green. Maybe some it would work in a Chevelle.
If anyone is interested in these pieces, I'll take a picture of them and email it to someone here, to post it. (still haven't got around to figure that out)

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:43 am

I have some dark green (73) interior parts as well as saddle (76) stuff.

Texan, you mentioned needing a dash bezel. Is this for sweep or round gauges? I believe I still have spares of both if I get to digging.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:53 pm

i got 5 of my interior pannels wrapped in my black crushed velvet. they are looking really good. im ready to get my headliner in and finish wrapping my other interior pannels and ready for black carpet. does any1 know how hard it is to take my dash out???, i just want to know how it is b4 i try to do it
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:14 pm

Dash removal is fairly simple.

If I remember...1 or two bolts each side, underneath at the front corners, and the 4 screws in the defrost vents. That's just the dash itself. I'm sure you can piece together the rest of anything else that would hold it in. Steering column, wiring, ducting etc...

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:21 pm

1973chevelle wrote: does any1 know how hard it is to take my dash out???

TTAAAAAA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

https://www.g3gm.com/t53-dash-pad-and-dash-removal-for-1973-1977-chevelle-monte-carlo-and-most-others?highlight=dash+removal

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:40 pm

about the steering column, just untighten the two screws holding it so it lowers down a little. gives you a little more space to remove the dash. dash itself is quite heavy and you have to twist it just right to get it out so you will need some help.

took me nearly 8 hours and a lot of frustration to get mine out, but i had no info about it whatsoever so i had to figure everything out by myself.

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Rago wrote:I have some dark green (73) interior parts as well as saddle (76) stuff.

Texan, you mentioned needing a dash bezel. Is this for sweep or round gauges? I believe I still have spares of both if I get to digging.

Sweep gauges, It's got a gas gauge, 100mph speedo and the clock. The top corners are broken out and I don't have enough of the broken pieces to even attempt to re-assemble. I have a red round bezel that I need to fix the lower left corner with a piece of a broken blue bezel that I found, Whenever I finally decide to swap in the econominder+gauges cluster. That I'll proabably paint black or a real dark green as that's a lot of in-your-face green for me, along with re-papering the woodgrain.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:26 pm

pila wrote:The '75 Elco body I bought had a green interior (or what was left of it) I have the trim for the front windshield, front kick panels, and the pieces around the back window. It's sort of a medium green. Maybe some it would work in a Chevelle.
If anyone is interested in these pieces, I'll take a picture of them and email it to someone here, to post it. (still haven't got around to figure that out)

My problem is I have the 4 door so a lot of them have been crushed out over the years or otherwise not saved. I looked at cutting down the 2 door panels but they are different enough that I have to section them a fair amount to graft onto my door panel, I can't use much more from the A-pillar forward from an Elky, I even found out my dual exhaust trans crossmember from an Elky doesn't fit my car unless I graft about 6 inches to its overall width, gotta get some flat plate steel to do that though.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:31 am

F.Y.I. Just wanted to share this info for any others out there who might be wondering about the headliner for 4-drs. I was out yesterday searching they yard and measured the length of a 2-dr vs 4-dr. As suspected, the 4-dr headliner is about 3" longer (approx. 54" lg O.A). Both cars measured with front and back plstic headliner trim removed.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:23 pm

Need to qualify the overall dimension I previously stated (54"). That info was based on a measurement I took along the same line on both cars (about 3" in from the RH edge of the headliner). It wasn't meant to be an actual overall dimension for ordering a headliner as measured down the middle at it's longest point. Sorry about that.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Woohoo! OPG has 4 door and Wagon headliners listed in their catalogs

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:00 pm

There you go...problem solved!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:03 pm

texan01 wrote:Woohoo! OPG has 4 door and Wagon headliners listed in their catalogs

That's very surprising. But cool! Cool

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:16 pm

My Headliner came in yesterday, it looks good, the plastic "T" clips look alot different on the new one than the old one but they still fit in the slots Very Happy
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Let us know how the install went!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member