G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

headliner

+11
abajc3
1973 454 MONTE
1973chevelle
Limey SE
pila
74Malibu383
74MonteCarlo
texan01
The Dude
JB2wheeler
IndyG3
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

headliner Empty headliner

Post by 1973chevelle Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:33 pm

hello guys im back once again im now 17 and im about to redo my interior with black chrushed velvet and im going to buy a new black headliner and black carpet. im ok on the carpet side i can do that but i have never messed with a headliner. any tips?
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

headliner Empty Re: headliner

Post by The Dude Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 pm

I would probably leave the headliner to a professional unless you know how to sew. I hear getting the bows right is the hardest part, but I've never personally messed with them.

Also if you end up deciding that crushed velvet is too expensive or change your mind on style, I have a set of freshly upholstered seats for sale. Very Happy Don't mind the dust, they have been sitting in my shop for a while.

headliner 100_2010

The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:00 pm

A couple of places make replacement headliners. They look great, but they suck to install. I tried and failed. I ran into trouble when trying to stretch it smooth. Just couldn't get it done. I got it put together, but it sagged between the bows. I'm sure it's just one of those things that takes patience and practice.

I ended up taking it to an upholstery shop in the end....
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:41 pm

how much do upholstry shops charge for a headliner installation?
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:21 pm

I've never tried installing after-market headliners, but have pulled a number of nice used ones. With factory originals, there really isn't much that can be done to "tighten" them when installing due to the nature of the rod design. Each rod has to be pulled tight to get it into the next row of slots. Seems to me that if there is sagging between the rods on the after-market ones, they aren't being made correctly.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:05 pm

and i can assure to all of you that the ones that steve pulls are awesome! i always tell the people im driving that the headliner is from a junkyard, and they cant believe it!

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:34 pm

I installed a new one in my '74 Malibu with no problem. I bought the perforated type, from OPGI. The bows are part of the headliner, and not separate like in older cars. They just clip/ slide into place in the roof structure. Some glue, which is usually supplied with the headliner, is used to attach the edges to the body (trim is off of course) If wrinkles are present, a bit of stretching, and a hair dryer to warm it up some, can usually get it in place OK.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:58 pm

what is OPGI?
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:23 pm

OPGI is Original Parts Group, in California. www.opgi.com Big catalog of '64 through '77 Chevelle/El Camino parts.

Their prices are high on some items, so I always shop around for a particular item. I buy some parts from The Parts Place, Dixiemontecarlo, SandS classics, etc.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:32 am

Here's a decent list of parts suppliers for us:
https://www.g3gm.com/t3633-g3-vendors

Hey Steve, how do you get a factory headliner out without tearing it? I tried once, but it didn't happen.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:20 am

Yeah, I bought the one from OPGI as well. Guess I just didn't install it right.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm

I usually attach the center of front and back of the headliner first, while getting it centered. Then attach the middle/center of each side. once the front, back, and both sides are attached at the centers, I work the corners bit, to keep them up in place while I work from the centers of both sides toward the front. Then work the centers of the sides toward the rear.
It doesn't work to just do one side or front or back. The whole thing has to be worked a bit at a time to keep it centered and avoid wrinkles etc.

I can tell ya that headliners in airplanes are a lot worse to install !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Like I said..... Practice and patience. Smile
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 pm

It's not my favorite job !! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:01 pm

i got mine out today and it only took like 5 mins. i love how theres little slots to just slide it in
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Wait, you got the whole headliner installed in 5 minutes??? Or am I reading that wrong?!? We need pics, dude!
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:05 pm

IndyG3 wrote:Wait, you got the whole headliner installed in 5 minutes??? Or am I reading that wrong?!? We need pics, dude!

1973chevelle wrote:i got mine out today and it only took like 5 mins. i love how theres little slots to just slide it in

Reading helps.

Laughing

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:22 pm

ha ha your learning young grasshopper

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Eeeeeeeeeeeeh
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:28 pm

I don't know about taking 5 mins to remove a headliner, but a little patience goes a long way. If the original one is brittle from age, there isn't much a person can do to prevent tearing it during removal. Besides, if it's brittle, it probably isn't worth reinstalling anyway. But, if I can get the front and maybe a couple feet back along the sides loose without tearing it, that's usually a good indicator that I'm going to be successful in saving it. I start with removing the forward bow/rod and work my way back. I'm always careful not to let the pulled portion of the headliner just hang down while I work my way back. Even though they don't weigh much, it's enough to possibly cause the fabric to tear as you continue to work the edges loose. Also, be especially careful around the dome light cut-out and the area around the upper shoulder belt retractors. Once this fabric has been slit or cut to fit around these areas, it will run on you pretty easily. Again, patience and a soft touch when pulling the fabric free around the perimeter.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:43 pm

mine doesnt have the medal rods in it its like plastic clips that just insert and slide back.
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Yep...that's the way the factory ones came. Makes them virtually fool-proof when installing.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:15 am

i removed the old one in even less than 5 minutes... it came out in many mieces Laughing Laughing installing a new one took a little longer though Very Happy first i fitted all plastic clips in the slots, starting from the back so that they stay in. than i used a spray on adhesive and glued the corners. you have to make some compromises, because its hard to do it without any wrinkles. ended up with more glue on myself than on the headliner, but it was worth it:)

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:29 pm

So your '73 is the same as the '74 it seems. Some items on '73 models were different, and I wasn't sure about the interior. I had a '73 years ago, but don't remember much about it.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:27 pm

now all i have to do is order one and wait for it to come in
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member