G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plans for the c7 Corvette

+2
JB2wheeler
The Dude
6 posters

Go down

Plans for the c7 Corvette Empty Plans for the c7 Corvette

Post by The Dude Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:42 am

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/next-corvette-will-be-powered-by-small--high-revving-turbo-v-8.html

Don't get too upset with the mid engine, 3.0 turbocharged V8 idea. They are also commenting on a big block. Who knows what they will end up doing? Hopefully this new engine will have the same motor mounts & trans bolt pattern as the LS series though. How many of you guys would like a DOHC turbo motor in an older small car? I would.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Plans for the c7 Corvette Empty Re: Plans for the c7 Corvette

Post by oldstofty Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:59 am

I dont think its the right way for gm to spend their money. I just dont think it will appeal to the corvette buyers crowd. They said its to compete with Ferrari and Lambo but honestly that market doesnt really exist here like it does in Europe. The people that spend 300k on a ferrari arent going to buy a corvette no matter the price or what drivetrain is in it. Rago- If it does get produced, I would imagine it wouldnt be the same motor mount and bolt pattern as the LS for sheer fact of it being mid engine. Done with rant sorry i just think GM is shooting itself by trying to do things like this.
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:25 pm

I just keep thinking Fiero whenever GM mentions mid-engine car. Maybe they should have waited to kill off Pontiac before deciding to build such a vehicle.

Also, I DO think that there is a possibility of building it with the same mounts & BP. Think about it. They have already stated that they are keeping the LS motor, so regardless of where the engine is mounted they would fare better to cut costs with the same mounts. The LS will be a mid engine too, correct?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:55 pm

I do not think an engine with a small bore and a large stroke will do 10,000 RPMs. I could be wrong, I know nothing about Indy car engines. Of course a lot of that has to do with the length of the rod used for a given size stroke. I had my 540 built with a large bore and a small stroke so I could get the extra benefit of being able to have larger valves and to get more RPMs and to be able to build RPMs faster. And with the shorter deck heighth of the 540 block I can have more room between the carb and the hood. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:26 pm

What about the horsepower? Expected to be 400? thats not competeing with the other supercars. The whole thing just sounds like an expensive mess. That IF produced will be a flop in america
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:17 pm

that theory oposes almost everything i love about american cars

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:40 am

Maybe it's just more corporate BS, like the "return of the El Camino" GM is doing quite good right now, and spending big bucks on plants, and doing some hiring.

My wife's brother bought a Pontiac Soltice just before Pontiac was axed. I drove it a week ago. It has the Ecotec turbo-charged 4-banger in it, with a 5-speed. It does go like hell for a small engine, and gets rubber through all the gear changes. A fun car alright.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:46 am

GM cutting costs in a way that makes sense is like saying that any Furd is easy to work on. That just dont happen anymore. I get the pleasure of working on all the makes and models everyday and let me tell you in the recent years every car company has just lost their damn minds.

Plans for the c7 Corvette SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:58 pm

Just looking under the hoods of late cars makes me feel sorry for the folks that work on them.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down