G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seatbelt options

+3
Mcarlo77
Limey SE
dynchel
7 posters

Go down

seatbelt options Empty seatbelt options

Post by patriot_5420 Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Hey guys I've been looking and I don't see any topics about it. So has anyone here swapped out the stock 2 piece over the shoulder belts for some auto retracting one piece units? So far it looks like my best bet is finding some bottom retractors but I'm not sure if there is anything else specific I should be aware of.

And for the bonus round I'm being picky. Looking for ones with the metal female buckle (button side) withthe black or blue GM logo and belts must come in either black or burgandy. And specific year make and models to pull from would be appreciated.

patriot_5420
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

seatbelt options Empty Re: seatbelt options

Post by dynchel Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Only '73 has the 2 piece you have. '74/77 a bodys have a retractor on roof and one on the floor. 1 piece belts.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by patriot_5420 Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:58 pm

So they retract from both ends? And the top retractor will fit under the trim panel in a 73?

patriot_5420
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:11 pm

They do retract from both the floor and roof...but, your current '73 trim will not hide the shoulder retractor. Your other problem is you'd have to cut a hole in your inner roof panel and figure out a way to mount and secure the later style retractor.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by patriot_5420 Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Ah right on. Yeah that's kinda what I was looking to avoid. I like the look of all the correct year trim just trying to find a workaround to get cleaner, more convient seatbelts.

patriot_5420
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:They do retract from both the floor and roof...but, your current '73 trim will not hide the shoulder retractor. Your other problem is you'd have to cut a hole in your inner roof panel and figure out a way to mount and secure the later style retractor.

Steve would not he have them access bolt holes already or how hard would it be to drill and then Tap that stuff ? They added that only after a year is sure weird to me, BUT it is GM design
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:41 pm

patriot_5420 wrote:Ah right on. Yeah that's kinda what I was looking to avoid. I like the look of all the correct year trim just trying to find a workaround to get cleaner, more convient seatbelts.

I have a complete set of Tan Belts from a 76 for what you wanna do you can figure it out easier if you have the parts in hand (only the front Belts I have) But is the complete front set roof and floor retractors I finally located some black ones and can get rid of these
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by patriot_5420 Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm looking for black or burgandy too boss man but thanks for the offer. I'll probably just end up trolling pull a parts for a morning or 2 sometime soon. I'm sure if I poke around enough old gm's I'll find what I need. Just hoping to do some research before I strike out on my mission.

patriot_5420
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:19 am

Just wondering how you could paint or die the actual belts, mine are have seen a little too much sun and change color when you pull them out.

Two tone is good in some cases, but this is not one of them!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:24 am

I've dyed faded black belts with black dye and they turned out great. But, used a product made by Jacquard...it's an acid dye (the acid part is simply vinegar you add). These people seem to know their applications, but aren't involved in the automotive scene...so, don't handle the various factory colors we'd need.

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:52 am

thats one of the reasons i stayed with black in my monte.maroon was so hard to find,and it would of been just wrong to dye black belts maroon. then have them ware off at a later date.
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by patriot_5420 Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:15 am

For the sake of safety, I won't dye belts. It may not be too bad but any dye does have a degenerative affect. I'd rather not screw with my straps. Lol

patriot_5420
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:30 am

I would say that there is not much that could hurt mine as they currently are other than cutting them in two. lol

Oh and they are black. So we shall see what comes about.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:54 pm

patriot_5420 wrote:Hey guys I've been looking and I don't see any topics about it. So has anyone here swapped out the stock 2 piece over the shoulder belts for some auto retracting one piece units? So far it looks like my best bet is finding some bottom retractors but I'm not sure if there is anything else specific I should be aware of.

And for the bonus round I'm being picky. Looking for ones with the metal female buckle (button side) withthe black or blue GM logo and belts must come in either black or burgandy. And specific year make and models to pull from would be appreciated.

I hated my 2-piece belts, so I replaced them with 3-point retractables. The front seat units are from Morris Classic Concepts. With some creative mounting to the side of the floor pan just behind the seat with 1/4" steel plate backing them up, they will not interfere with the swivel seats:
seatbelt options Seatbe10

The shoulder harness uses the stock location on the B pillar:
seatbelt options Seatbe11

I also went so far as to do the right and left rear belts as well using 3-point shoulder harness belts for a convertible from Juliano's Hot Rod Parts, again backed up with 1/4" plate steel as a mounting point:
seatbelt options Seatbe12

Both companies will do them in a multitude of colors, but I don't think either produces them with the GM logo; however, Autoloc also does belts and claims to have optional laser engraving.

If I had any complaints, it's that they're very "grabby" compared with factory belts -- you have to pull them out very SLOWLY.

Hope this helps.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by patriot_5420 Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Good rig. Looks clean. I'm working a little different since I'm in an el Camino with a bench seat but definitely good for ideas.

patriot_5420
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 am

FWIW all those companies make bench seat and lap belt only rigs as well. They also sell mounting point kits so you can put one where you need it.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down