G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'75 Malibu seatbelt retractor

3 posters

Go down

'75 Malibu seatbelt retractor Empty '75 Malibu seatbelt retractor

Post by Doc75 Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:44 am

Hey, looking for help..I've got a '75 Chevelle/Malibu with a stuck seatbelt retractor (in retracted position) that I cannot get to release..An further complications of the T-50 hold down bolt frozen..Any insight on freeing the bolt as well as the seatbelt retractor would be greatly appreciated...Can the seatbelt retractor be rebuilt upon removal from floor?

Doc75
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

'75 Malibu seatbelt retractor Empty Re: '75 Malibu seatbelt retractor

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:06 pm

I've taken apart, cleaned and reassembled a number of retractors and your problem is most likely either the strap is twisted inside the retractor...or, the internal metal bar that allows the belt mechanism to release is rusted and seized. So, yes...it can be fixed once it's removed from the car. That brings up the other problem as you've already discovered...and, that is how to remove a seized T50 bolt. I don't have an easy answer for that. Living here in the Rust Belt, I've had to deal with this often when salvaging belts from the JY's. Unfortunately, I often cannot even break them loose with my Dewalt impact wrench. And, I've broken my share of bits trying.
Guys at the JY's will get out the acetylene torch and put heat to them from underneath to loosen them. Maybe you could find a shop that could help you out with that?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:50 pm

I've used this tool from Eastwood to remove the tailgate bolts from several el caminos without any issues. They are typically very hard to remove and used torches in the past with good results as well. I'm thinking these would be a good options in your situation as well.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-screw-buster.html
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down