G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honest opinions needed

+5
77mali
Bruisr
jerry46765
JB2wheeler
thatfnthing
9 posters

Go down

Honest opinions needed Empty Honest opinions needed

Post by Memphis73Chevelle Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:32 am

Did my third round of estimates  yesterday below are the following responses:
a) I'm not touching that
b)It's going to be very expensive
C) Find a donar car and get the roof
d) scrap the body and put everything in another car
e) get rid of it

after looking at my video, which of these do you agree with...I really like his car, it's different. But i'm not sinking a bunch of money into it
Memphis73Chevelle
Memphis73Chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Honest opinions needed Empty Re: Honest opinions needed

Post by Memphis73Chevelle Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:40 am

Anybody got a roof?
Memphis73Chevelle
Memphis73Chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:31 am

If you have the skill, the tools, and the time, it'll be a lot of work.  If you don't have all three of those, it'll be a lot of money.  Only you know for sure.

Another option: box the frame rails and cut the roof off for a roadster.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:50 am

Unfortunately, a roof from another vehicle will not fix it. 
The tops of the quarters are gone, and I would bet after you took the windows out the window frames too.  
If it's this rusty then you really need to look close at the cowl and floors.

What you need is another tub or another car. (or you fix it yourself if attached to this car.)
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:52 am

http://www.usbodysource.com/__Photo-Gallery/C-Bod-Fe-GM/73-che-001-a.htm
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:57 am

The us body shell is $3900 before shipping/crating. 
Installation would be a major pain, door fit gaps, windows on and on...

You could buy another really nice g3 for what you would have in retubbing with fiberglass.
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Memphis73Chevelle Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:03 pm

And 3900 AIN'T (and I did say AIN'T) even an option...LOL!
Shocked...
Memphis73Chevelle
Memphis73Chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Memphis73Chevelle Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks guys ...i need to face the truth...kinda attached...but I need to make an intelligent decision
Memphis73Chevelle
Memphis73Chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:25 pm

I like it and can't stand to see one go so part of me says grab it and hold on, but I agree with the fact that you may find a better one for the same or less money.  I have personally not seen one of these sitting anywhere around here, but it seems like others on the forum to seem to find them all of the time.

Good luck!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:26 pm

What are your intentions with the car?  Is it going to need to be a daily driver?  Is it something you don't need, but really want.  If you really want it, and have no intentions of ever selling, THEN I say fix as you can afford and learn as you go.  If it needs to be daily driver, I say find another car.    You could always cut the roof off and have a unique looking car, remember its your to do with as you like.   Finding an entire roof might prove to be difficult at best. You can repair in sections as you can afford time and money.   If you ever plan to sell the car, you will NEVER get what you have into back.. Fix it because you like the car and want to fix it, otherwise let it go.  Sorry.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Take a few courses in body work/fabrication if that's an option.  I have a local vocational high school near me which offers welding, body work, etc...@ night for adults.

It is a lot of work there but if you are going to keep it forever, it's worth the effort.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:09 pm

You could always patch it in on the roof sections. Looks like all the rust is where the vinyl top and chrome goes and then you could run a vinyl top. Some like some don't, but it would be an easy way to cover up your patches if your not skilled ad sectioning metal. As far as the tailpanel you can cut the spot welds out and replace that also. A lot of work on the spot welds but an easy replacement after that. Just my .02 cents.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:21 pm

You said to be honest.......I haven't ever seen a car as rusty at that one. You didn't mention anything about the frame.  In my experience, a body with that much rust will have a a frame that's just as bad.
  If you removed the roof panel, you may find that all the support structure under it is also beyond any realistic restoration.
  As said above, finding another car, stripping this one, is the only thing I would suggest.

I've been where you are now....I had to scrap a '77 El Camino, in  2009,  that I bought new.
  That really broke my heart, but I saved the interior, steering column, etc, and front suspension.  I bought another body, a '75, and used the stuff I saved from the '77.

Here's a link to mine.....and even with a good Arizona body, it's been a LOT of work, and the cost went past 12 grand so fast I didn't even realize it !!  And it's still not finished !Evil or Very Mad

https://s561.photobucket.com/user/steelybill/library/El%20Camino%20Restoration

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Memphis73Chevelle Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 pm

pila wrote:You said to be honest.......I haven't ever seen a car as rusty at that one. You didn't mention anything about the frame.  In my experience, a body with that much rust will have a a frame that's just as bad.
  If you removed the roof panel, you may find that all the support structure under it is also beyond any realistic restoration.
  As said above, finding another car, stripping this one, is the only thing I would suggest.

I've been where you are now....I had to scrap a '77 El Camino, in  2009,  that I bought new.
  That really broke my heart, but I saved the interior, steering column, etc, and front suspension.  I bought another body, a '75, and used the stuff I saved from the '77.

Here's a link to mine.....and even with a good Arizona body, it's been a LOT of work, and the cost went past 12 grand so fast I didn't even realize it !!  And it's still not finished !Evil or Very Mad

https://s561.photobucket.com/user/steelybill/library/El%20Camino%20Restorati
Yea i have decided to sell it...if it doesn't sell i'll just scrap the body (the frame is actually in great condition it's the roof thats the killer) Great response though:)
var __chd__ = {'aid':11079,'chaid':'www_objectify_ca'};(function() { var c = document.createElement('script'); c.type = 'text/javascript'; c.async = true;c.src = ( 'https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://z': 'http://p') + '.chango.com/static/c.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(c, s);})();
Memphis73Chevelle
Memphis73Chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Memphis73Chevelle Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Update: well for the umpteenth time I did not sell the car for various reasons.

1. no one could hit the price I was asking for...wasn't much but the car is still too good to give away.

2. found someone who will work on the roof sending it to him this weekend.

3. Thanks to the members who actually called me to give me alot of info and advice...even offering to cut the roof off of their donors for me thanks.

Well for now i'm done... will post pics of completed roof...wish me luck:thumbsup:
Memphis73Chevelle
Memphis73Chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:25 am

Good luck!  Post as many pics as you can on the roof project.  I may be tackling it in the near future!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down