G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HEI wiring

3 posters

Go down

HEI wiring  Empty HEI wiring

Post by Fishgrinder Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:07 am

Is it correct to connect the HEI to the thick red wire in the picture? There's also a blue wire coming out of the same "junction", and a brownish one coming out of the firewall. Anyone know what these are for? The car has factory tach, but i thought this wire would be green, and I can't find a green one under the hood.

Car is still a 1975 Monte Carlo, orginally small block, now converted to big block.

HEI wiring  DSCF4460_zps0053c8a4

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

HEI wiring  Empty Re: HEI wiring

Post by 1973montec Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:12 am

red power to hei

blue oil sender

brown tach

thats my guess.
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:27 am

X2

Tach wire should be the brown one from firewall- looks like it has the "Single" type connector for the HEI on it- but I can't tell for sure from the pic- try matching it to the "Tach" terminal on the Dist. Cap.

Blue could be for the Low Oil pressure sensor & warning light on the gauges.

Red is for "Batt" on the HEI terminal marked as such.  You may need a single pigtail connector for the red wire.  Most come with the dual connector which come with red & green pigtail wires with green being for the Tach.

Last edited by 77mali on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:40 am

Thanks for the replys!

I'm going to use this distributor: http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Performance/809/93440806/10002/-1

and this connector was required: http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Performance/809/12167658/10002/-1

How should I go about with the hookup using that connector Mali?

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:01 am

Good choices. It's real simple actually the red wire just slides in & clips to the terminal on the cap, same with the tach wire. You may want to solder the wires & use the heat shrink type of cover versus those crimp-on connections. That's about it I think.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:52 am

Allright.

So thick red wire from harness into red wire on connector, then i splice the green wire with the brown from the firewall for the tach? Or could I just skip the green and plug brown one directly into the cap?

What about the connector hanging out of the Distributor itself in the picture?

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:05 am

Green?  The link you gave for the wires for your dist shows 2 separate wires.  The gauge on the factory tach is much thinner than aftermarket "green" wire....I'm confused...are you running an aftermarket tach?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:21 am

The connector on the Dist is the power supply to the rotor inside.  It connects on the dual terminal in the inside part of the cap.

HEI wiring  P1050310

I'm running an aftermarket tach (red/green) for break-in purposes (three reds connected with yellow nut) but you won't need to do that with the pigtails you ordered if you have factory tach in the gauge cluster.  Make sense?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:13 pm

I have the factory tach, was just wondering if I should splice the original brown wire with the green in the pigtail, but as you say it won't be necessary then.

That picture explained it well! Many thanks Mali Very Happy

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:39 pm

No problem sir.  Worst case is you may have to use the new brown wire if the terminal plugs are somehow different than your factory plug.

Make sure you hook up that oil pressure warning light too. Pila suggested to me that it makes sense to use it even if you are running an oil pressure gauge.  The light will come on before you can tell on the gauge that there might be something wrong. It looks like on your manifold that there is a plug right nearby for the sensor- unless that's a hold down bolt...I can't tell...Shocked 

Post a video of that monster when you get it running.Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:41 pm

I've put a pressure sensor down at the front left (driver side) of the block. It has a T-connection with the warning light sensor as well, so I'll make the blue wire longer and hook it up there. Smart to have the light indeed!

HEI wiring  Sensor_zps97ccf1e6

Seems like the big blocks didn't have the sensor right at the top rear of the engine like the small blocks.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Oh yea...looking sweet already Very Happy 

Might want to double check that location won't interfere with power steering pump & see if there's another location by the oil filter. Since it's a new block they should have a plug in it so easy to locate. Just a thought.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:03 am

It clears the pump fine Wink, but thanks for the consideration.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down