G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neighbors

+8
pila
BlackChevelleSS
77mali
Mcarlo77
JB2wheeler
driveit
Tom77
1973montec
12 posters

Go down

Neighbors Empty Neighbors

Post by switchbiker Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:06 am

Why why why, do I have to have neighbors who call the police every time I make the slightest amount of noise. They called the cops on me for my air compressor running! it's kinda noisy but it's definitely not obnoxiously loud. The officer is being fairly tolerant of the cop callers but I could see by his expressions he was tired of it from the same people a couple times a week, heck we are on a first name basis now haha. I fired up my compressor to show him that its not that loud he agreed the neighbors were being super nit picky. nonetheless it won't be the last time that officer comes to my house for a disturbing the peace call. My only fear is the neighbors might be establishing a record of making complaints then take me to court to in an attempt to either get money or a cease and desist order on my activities in my own garage. Why do some people have to be a constant pain in the A$$ to everyone around them? I need to move out of the city for sure.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Neighbors Empty Re: Neighbors

Post by 1973montec Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:14 am

they can be a pain in the a$$.

my neighbors called the cops on me because they thought i had some kind of "child" thing going on in my house. Evil or Very Mad  im sorry officer that i have 6 kids (at the time) and they are in and out of the house all day long with friends and so on. we too were on first name basis,you would of thought if they cared at all,they would of come over and talked to me.
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:18 am

Feel for you guys. I on the other hand have the greatest neighbors. Whenever I open the garage to do any work one or both of them come over just to talk but end up helping me in some way. They arent car people but just really nice people could not have asked for better neighbors.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Some people I think just like to cause trouble for others. I think it is in their blood or something. Sometimes it would be nice if people would just mind their own business.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Yes, air compressors ARE loud and irritating, but if you generally get along with your neighbors they will turn their head during daylight hours. Just remember that in this day and time people work and sleep at very odd hours and one should take this into consideration when using things that make loud noise. It's a give and take situation. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:09 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:Yes, air compressors ARE loud and irritating, but if you generally get along with your neighbors they will turn their head during daylight hours. Just remember that in this day and time people work and sleep at very odd hours and one should take this into consideration when using things that make loud noise. It's a give and take situation. JB
Never even talked to them, its a retired couple. On this day they were outside for a little while then went in the house, about 45 minutes later here comes the police. My air compressor really isn't overly loud, it's a belt driven 2 cylinder, it basically has a low toned plump-plump-plump sound. it can be running in my garage and if I go inside my house it is barely audible inside, my television at a regular listening volume covers it up. I could almost understand if I was running my air hammer or impact gun because those are loud, but I was feeding my blast cabinet at the time which also isn't loud. This was around 4:00pm in the afternoon, there's no reason at all that I shouldn't be able to work on things in my garage at that time of the day. I know you're trying to be the voice of reason here JB, but I honestly don't feel I was being inconsiderate in any way, but I do feel the neighbors are being overly sensitive.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:28 pm

So...explain to me why running a lawn mower, snowblower, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, etc. is acceptable to these kinds of busy-bodies at this time of day; but, working in one's garage with power tools isn't? This is more than just a noise issue with people like this...there's some kind of misguided attitude going on. I don't know if, when some people retire, they have little to do except dwell on petty things that eat away at them until it drives them crazy...or, what.

My parents live in a retirement community in AZ (single-family homes) and it's downright eerie how quiet it is up and down the streets at any time of day or night. When my kids were smaller and we'd go to visit, we had to keep reminding them to be quiet when playing in the yard so as not to upset the neighbors. Because of this, my wife will NEVER consider moving to a retirement community.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Check your local ordinances at your town hall.  In my case any resident or contractor can make as much noise as they want between the hours of 7am & 7pm.  After that if you're running equipment like saws, nail guns, compressors, or having a loud @$$ party they'll show up & ask you to quit for the evening if someone call in. Our police dept will tell a "complainer" that they are "SOL".  If you're within your rights by local law, you might want to consider filing a complaint against them for harassment.  Try & talk to them first, if they are @$$holes, at least you tried.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:27 pm

my neighbors were pathetic crack heads, So I had their house torn down, now I have a nice empty lot next door.  Very Happy

Neighbors SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 pm

You might try some sound deadening on the walls near your compressor, to keep the sound from bouncing off the near walls etc.
Neighbors can be a problem alright.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:02 am

Put up a fence and some hedges,do it with permits and no one will say anything anymore. People are so freakin touchy today,pain in the A$$'. I own the property on the side where the garage is and the other side a nice lady lives and I try to help her out with stuff around the house and she has a nice normal family so no problem.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:44 am

OK so how deos one deal with the jack a$$ that lives next door with the tree that overhangs my driveway that should be cut down if not trimmed back severely, that's had a dead branch fall and land on my van, who continues to say "we'll wait and see" every time he's asked to "deal with the tree".  The one that asks for help with this thing and that thing, but won't even take me up on the offer to help "deal with the tree"
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:56 am

77mali wrote:Check your local ordinances at your town hall.  In my case any resident or contractor can make as much noise as they want between the hours of 7am & 7pm.  After that if you're running equipment like saws, nail guns, compressors, or having a loud @$$ party they'll show up & ask you to quit for the evening if someone call in. Our police dept will tell a "complainer" that they are "SOL".  If you're within your rights by local law, you might want to consider filing a complaint against them for harassment.  Try & talk to them first, if they are @$$holes, at least you tried.
local ordinance for noise here is between hours of 7am-10pm. I'm just going to carry on doing what I've been doing, if the police get dispached to my house again for no good reason, I'll give them a real reason to complain, I'll set up my acoustic drums in the garage and rock out for a few hours everyday.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:44 am

I am one of those people with great neighbors. I live in a rural community with retired folk on both sides. The one guy has a 1969 chevy truck with a 383 in it. The guy on the other side is just starting a complete frame off on his 1972 SS Chevelle. No one her complains and we really all help each other all the time. I know some day these people will not be here any more and I will have to deal with new people....

From what I understand on the law dealing with trees that overhang the lot line: You can trim the branchs back to the line if they are on your side. Even if it is not your tree. Check out the laws near you, but I think this one is pretty universal.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:50 pm

bitterfitter wrote:I am one of those people with great neighbors.  I live in a rural community with retired folk on both sides.  The one guy has a 1969 chevy truck with a 383 in it.  The guy on the other side is just starting a complete frame off on his 1972 SS Chevelle.  No one her complains and we really all help each other all the time.  I know some day these people will not be here any more and I will have to deal with new people....

From what I understand on the law dealing with trees that overhang the lot line:  You can trim the branchs back to the line if they are on your side.  Even if it is not your tree.  Check out the laws near you, but I think this one is pretty universal.

That's true here.  The issue is that there is a whole lot of dead branches in the tree, and it's not really safe to climb it or even use an extension lader on any of the branches, the only solution is a bucket truck.  Even with that being done any branch that breaks away will fall into our driveway.

Sorry I feel like I've taken over just ranting about my "lovely neighbour".

How about invite them over for a drink and ask them what they'd like you to do? and how much it actaully disturbs them? Yes like the lawn mower, the snow thrower, and other such tools that everyone's got compressors are becoming more and more popular. They might just want to know what's going on more than complain.

who knows ?
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down