G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any body/Paint guys on here?

+5
magic marouke
Wallyuph
chevellelaguna
orange Juiced
dynchel
9 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Any body/Paint guys on here? Empty Any body/Paint guys on here?

Post by 76 Malibu Fri May 16, 2014 2:07 pm

I went around to a few body shops to see about getting my headlight fender extensions (with single lights from a 1974 Malibu) painted. The shops I talked too didn't seem interested in doing the work and gave sky high quotes. They seemed concerned about matching the paint, since now the body shops have to use water based paints. The car was painted about 10 years ago with a modern base clear in the factory colour, but it would have been a solvent based paint. Is it really that hard to match the colour?

76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Any body/Paint guys on here? Empty Re: Any body/Paint guys on here?

Post by chevellelaguna Fri May 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Some colors are much harder to match than others. Those pieces are a contoured urethane molded piece, so because of the contour the light reflects off of it differently than say off of the edge of the fender and casts a different hue. To make those match 100 percent they would have to be painted with the fenders, again, some colors are easier than others. Humidity, spray pressure variations all have an effect as well. How many new cars have you seen where the front bumper cover doesn't match the rest of the car. Plastic covers and steel body panels cast colors differently.
Plus, those extensions need to be prepped properly first, then cleaned with a special alcohol, possibly baked, to let out residual trapped contaminates, sprayed with an adhesion promoter etc. there is more to it than just spraying paint on something and charging someone $25 bucks. There are materials and supplies involved than are expensive and necessary. For a good end result. Would you go to a dentist that works out of a back alley way?  People never realize what's involved with paint and body work. Those extensions sucked from day one, they do not like being painted let alone flexed in any way. Factor in $50 for a gallon of mud, $30/quart for glaze, $25/tube for pin-hole glaze, $40 d/a sandpaper, $40 wet sand paper $30 box of scuff pads, $36/quart adhesion promoter, $90 gallon of sealer, $40 for hardner for the sealer, $90 gallon of primer $40 for hardner, $40 pint of paint, $150 gallon of clear, the spray gun to spray the material,etc, someone has to buy that stuff to have it on hand to do the work to charge you $25 bucks to paint them.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri May 16, 2014 2:54 pm

I think he is talking about the pot metal surround. (Since he mentioned round headlights)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Gotchya, they are right up next to the fender, yeah they won't match without blending the color into the fender. But same rant as above, not letting anyone off THAT easy!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Fri May 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah, I am talking about the pot metal extensions. They have been sandblasted and are ready to paint. The body shop just had to paint, no install or anything.

I am not sure what colour my car is called (see in the Avatar) but it is a metallic brown. If the paint is off as much as a plastic to metal part (like on many modern cars), I can live with that. It doesn't have to be show quality, just decent enough that it won't stand out to the majority of people. The guy just made it seem like they won't even be in the same ball park.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri May 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Best advice is to try another shop, preferably a small one. The larger shops do production collision work. To do those small pieces they'd loose production and time. A Small shop would be worth checking into. If you're not extremely concerned about a slight mis match in color then painting those pieces seperately sounds like the way to go. Matching to faded dull colors is a whole problem in of itself. Keep looking, don't give up, I'm sure there's a local shop that would paint them for you, and it'll look great.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri May 16, 2014 8:37 pm

What is their main issue? Mixing the paint? My local Paint place uses a camera to make a exact match of the paint color. Maybe if you brought your own paint they would do it? Two loOse extensions (that are prepped) would take very little time or effort to do. I'm suprised with the results you are getting.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Fri May 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks for the tip on the smaller shops. That makes sense since the bigger shops seem focused on collisions and insurance work. I will have to do a bit more digging.

I have heard that about the camera matching the paint, maybe I will have to stop by a paint shop and see what they have to say.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Fri May 16, 2014 10:55 pm

I have to agree with chevellelaguna.  Yes you can match the color but blending is the were the work is. Its easier to blend if you do more then what you are trying to paint.  And shops will not usually paint already prep items, to many problems can happen, fish eye, chemical reaction, ect.

I would check to see if any high schools or tech schools in your area that take in cars for them to practice on. We have a high school in town that has a body shop class and the kids paint the cars.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat May 17, 2014 8:56 am

Hey, thanks for backing me up. I didn't think of the local Vo-tech centers, great thought!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sat May 17, 2014 9:01 am

If its just two little pieces check with a paint supply place and see if they will mix and put the paint in a spray can for you. They also sell catalyzed clear you can spray over the paint when its done. Then just shoot it your self if not that worried about paint match.

The clear looks like this.
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aero-spray-high-gloss-clear.html?srccode=ga220010&gclid=COis4sGBs74CFe47MgoddzQAaA
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sat May 17, 2014 9:27 am

I remember when I worked in a body shop we tried to paint everything at the same time . Even if you paint the car then all the panels , doors , fenders , hood , trunk etc a day or two apart it's possible it won't match exactly . And that's using the exact same materials all the time
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Sat May 17, 2014 12:56 pm

I just got two cans made at the paint store on Thursday. I have gotten cans made there before and it's been good enough to win awards at local shows, but it's a little off in certain light. The nose on my GA gets cracks in it from time to time, and the cans do very well when repairing them.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat May 17, 2014 1:32 pm

In my (limited ) experience, the metalic colors are the tough ones to match.  Seems like getting the poly to stand up the same as the old paint is part of the problem, and maybe it depends on how many beers you drink, to get it right Very Happy 
 I've painted more airplanes than cars, but usually with solid colors, and two part linear poly urethane paint.

If you can get spay can paint mixed to match, go for it !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun May 18, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I will do more shopping around before I make the decision. Ultimately I am just looking to convert my car to single headlights and I just don't want to repaint the entire car to do so. The paint on my car is still in nearly like new condition.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun May 18, 2014 12:18 pm

You have the same color as my Monte Carlo. Buckskin metallic. Its hard to match. Didnt match that well when it was new if you see a unpainted one. Its difficult . I look at old pictures of my car before I had it painted 15 yrs ago and it dosent match the paint on it now. Do the best you can or have someone with some patience to mix the paint a few times do it for you. Different paint shops are going to mix it differently.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down