G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peel and stick molding

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Peel and stick molding Empty Peel and stick molding

Post by Fishgrinder Tue May 27, 2014 2:06 am

I'm considering using a peel and stick molding in my wheel wells as the original moldings are in bad shape or missing.

Like this: http://www.autoamenity.com/Body-Molding/Body-Side-Molding.htm

Most likely I will be able to shine up and reuse the lower body moldings.

Is there a chance that this will look good? I recall Kyle saying he had stick and peel on his 74.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Peel and stick molding Empty Re: Peel and stick molding

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue May 27, 2014 12:54 pm

If you want opinions, here's mine...I've never seen where someone has used stick-n-peel trim on their wheel wells. I find it hard to believe they would look natural vs originals. You've spent a great deal of time and money laying down a nice paint job and you'd hate to detract from that by installing something that makes the whole project look cheesy. I think it's these small details that really make a car restoration worth admiring. I'd say the same thing about the opera window moldings. I know they are hard to find and can be expensive. But, IMO, this isn't the place to cut corners or compromise if at all possible. NOS ones do show up on e-Bay occasionally...plus, I may be able to help find some decent used ones here and there if interested.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue May 27, 2014 2:57 pm

I'd say these options in this order.

Original

Reproductions

Nothing

The wrong moulding from another car. For example the opera window mouldings from a Cutlas or a Regal could be cut and made to fit and look like a two piece design. Looks good looks right except to somebody who knows it's wrong.

Lastly I've seen the same opera window done with that peel and stick chromed plastic and it doesn't hold it's shape properly, shows every imperfection on the surface it's stuck to.

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Wed May 28, 2014 1:33 am

I agree with you, originals are definitely best. It is just that they are hard to find as you mention. Heck, I almost considered buying a second car just to have the moldings  Laughing  Sent a price request to thepartsplaceinc.com, but haven't got an answer yet.

Mcarlo77: If you have the time to help me again I would appreciate it. Tallied the lower moldings yesterday, and three small pieces are missing there as well. I can send you a PM with details.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed May 28, 2014 9:19 am

Sure...let me know. I'll be going over to talk to a guy in Mpls. this week who told me he had some NOS trim for Montes.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down