G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shoulder Belt Solutions

2 posters

Go down

Shoulder Belt Solutions Empty Shoulder Belt Solutions

Post by sportster_restorer Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:48 am

I've got swivel buckets that have outlived their time in my 74 Laguna. The driver's seat swivel has rusted so that its not real safe driving the car. It wobbles so much that I'm pretty sure I can't pass inspection here in Texas. I'd like to have some seats that meet the following criteria:

1. They have to have some kind of bracket that keeps that damned shoulder belt off your neck.
2. I'd like them to be somewhat light weight.
3. I'd like them to recline.

So I've been looking at some seat solutions. I found a set of real nice 04 Grand Prix seats that use the brackets that mount onto the headrests and secure the shoulder belt off your neck. However, I found for the driver's seat at least, the GP seat brackets are not only 17 inches apart, but the outboard slider is offset from center more than the inboard. The inboard is only around 7 inches from the centerline, but the outboard is about 10 inches from the centerline. When I just tried to sit them in the car, the outboard mount sat on the side of the bod that covers the frame. It wouldn't even come close to the floor. The GP driver's seat is power btw, so surgery on the mounts is out of the question as too time consuming. I measured the passenger seat brackets and they have the same width and offset problems. However, the passenger seat track is manual, and looks like maybe it could be modified without a lot of trouble. There are manual seat brackets for the driver's side that might be more easily modified and I've been considering it as I've got the GP seats very cheaply.

BTW, I tried the little aftermarket clip that moves the shoulder harness over on the waist part of the belt and its more a kludge than anything.

However, rather that do a lot of fab work on the GP manual slider bracket (in addition to finding one at a junk yard), I've been considering a high dollar option and getting some ProCar seats. Popular Hot Rodding used ProCars on Johnny Hunkins' Laguna build. I've sat in a few ProCar seats and they are pretty awesome. I found out that the headrest posts on Procars are only 3/16" off from the 04 GP headrests posts, so that bracket from the GP seats looks like it could be modded pretty easy. All to keep that damned shoulder belt off my neck.

I was just writing all of this to see what other folks on G3 might have used as a solution to get reclining seats, and then keep that shoulder belt off your neck.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Shoulder Belt Solutions Empty Re: Shoulder Belt Solutions

Post by sportster_restorer Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:52 am

A little more data.

It looks like the floor mounts on a swivel bucket car are 14.25" wide and 16.25" long. A friend's 86 TransAm seats we measured had the seat mounting holes at 13" wide and 14" long. The TA seats use a little bracket on the headrest to keep the damned shoulder strap off your neck. These seats are super light weight also and recline.

5th gen Camaro seats use a strap to locate the shoulder belt. Looking at a set of those, the seat slider mounts appear to be about 1 1/2" wider on each side so they may squeeze in. I've seen a couple of 68-72 Chevelles using 5th gen Camaro seats and they looked awesome> I've sat in a few 5th gens and the seats are pretty comfortable too. Anybody used these or looked into them?

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:22 pm

I helped a friend take a motor out of a 78 up style Buick, it had a really nice bucket seat interior, he gave it all to me, as he had no need for it. My 75 four door had a bench seat, I wanted to switch to buckets, I remember them fitting in relatively easily, only downer was they looked a little high from the side view, I didn't care my tint was 5 percent. Couldn't see inside anyhow.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down