G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edlebrock carb woes

4 posters

Go down

Edlebrock carb woes Empty Edlebrock carb woes

Post by Podor Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 am

The 305 in my Chevelle is temporary. The previous owner put a Edlebrock 4160 on a Performer RPM intake on. It runs ok. It's cold natured, it has the typical fuel "percolating", so its hard to start when it sits for 15 minutes or so. I've isolated the fuel lines from heat and installed the heat insulator. It's better, but not fixed. It's stinks of raw fuel when I park it in the garage, which is not sitting well with the family. There are no fuel leaks. This is my first Carter AFB style carb. I've run several Holleys and gotten pretty good at tuning. I ran a 390 CFM Holley on a 305 I had in a Grand Prix back in the day and it was perfect. I can buy a 600 CFM Holley for cheap, but a 390 is close to $500. I really don't want to spend a dime on this engine, but I really enjoy driving it. Does anyone have any advice?
Podor
Podor
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Edlebrock carb woes Empty Re: Edlebrock carb woes

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:25 am

Check all the rubber fuel line connections in the car. Unleaded gas eats rubber hose and the smell can permeate the hoses. I have seen unleaded gas eat the rubber hose out of steel braided hose in many cars.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:06 am

Me too, if there is a gas smell and it is more than the usual carb related odor. I would defenently chance all rubber Lines. I have seen rubber lines where they look ok but was eaten up inside so the fuel vabors could come trough. Its a matter of time before the Line leaks gas everywhere. If the carb itself is smelling bad. Maybe you have a stuck float or something, my edelbrock carb dosent smell at all when its in the garage. But it did benefit from having a heat insulator plate mounted under it, it helped the hard starting when hot and elimnated the heatsoak issues. But alot of gas smell is a sign somethings not right.
Here in Danmark i see it every spring when the cars get out of storage, one or to is always gone up in flames due to bad gaslines, just 6 months with unleaded gas is enough to eat the rubber. And when theres is pressure from a fuelpump it sprays gas everywhere in a hot engine compartment its a recipe for disaster.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 pm

Hard lines are always the best way.  A good tubing bender may be required though, & not one from the local auto parts store...I have Imperial benders, which work very good, but there are other good ones available.
Otherwise, high pressure rated hose works OK. like Aeroquip 303 hose & fittings.  Not local stuff, but Aircraft Spruce has the hose & fittings.
Their big catalog has lots of stuff to use on cars !...877-477-7823 if you need the number...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down