G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Budget allows for....?

+4
Limey SE
JF74chevelle
thatfnthing
1975 S3
8 posters

Go down

Budget allows for....? Empty Budget allows for....?

Post by 1975 S3 Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:53 am

This spring i can either put a rocking stereo in the car, or do a gear change from 2:73 to 3:42, what do u folks think?
1975 S3
1975 S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Budget allows for....? Empty Re: Budget allows for....?

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:05 am

How often do you sit in traffic?  Houston traffic really got me into car audio.  I would pass Corvettes at 3mph and jam out.  I love car audio and going fast.  I think you will get more enjoyment out of good music than a gear change.

This
Budget allows for....? 49-01810

Or This
Budget allows for....? 15610
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 am

Unless you're putting in an OD transmission at the same time as the gears, you're better off with sound.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Im the opposite, I never listen to music while driving and I'm 19. I'd change the rear gear get some more fun out of the car.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:49 pm

I will check the stamping on the ones I have but I am sure one is 3.42 and other is 3.73 ..... I have other plans for the rear in SE I do have a complete rear actually but needs assembly build this one and take the time to do it right and leave yours in to cruise

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:50 pm

You want some get up and go. Change the cam and the gears. I installed in each of my vehicles 3:42 gears along with posi. unit. It changed everything about the car from a ho hum to a fun vehicle to drive and listen to with a cam. Stereo is for new vehicles let the engine sing out the tail pipes...
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:26 pm

1975 S3 wrote:This spring i can either put a rocking stereo in the car, or do a gear change from 2:73 to 3:42, what do u folks think?

Your decision should correlate to the current state of the car and your future plans.

Meaning:

If your car is stock (ish) and you have no future plans to invest in any performance upgrades, then.....Rocking Stereo.

If you do have future performance plans, make a list and see how the gear change fits in that plan.
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:42 pm

"Failing to plan is planning to fail" some guy said that. Great advise though. Follow BBMALIBU's advice and write everything down you would like to do and look at the cash requirements. If you can't come up with the money you need for those plans then they are more a dream. I do this all the time in my head with my projects. If you can't come up with $1000 in the next year, then performance upgrades are really out of the question. Gears, working posi, axle seals, fluids, consumables, and labor (your time or shop time) with a cam kit, intake, and carb will be around $1000 or more if your a good shopper real quick. These items will make your car a lot more fun. But, when you do these items and you want a converter and trans work, that number will double. Everything snowballs. If you want to cruise around that same money will get you a small stereo and some detail work to make your car clean and some tunes to ride around with. Just my .02 from a guy doing it right now.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:07 pm

My Malibu has a 408 SB, which is a real stump puller for power, with just a 3.08 rear ratio. This engine ate two TH350 transmissions before I built my own.......And I'm happy with then Pioneer stereo and Pioneer speakers, front & rear..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down