G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8.8 rear swap in a wagon

4 posters

Go down

8.8 rear swap in a wagon Empty 8.8 rear swap in a wagon

Post by 74wagon Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Hey all! So I've been looking in to a posi for my 74 malibu wagon only to now lear that they use an oddball 8.6" rear with no support. I was thinking a Ford 8.8" as I'm told its damn near a direct bolt in.

So, anyone done one? Or is there a easier cheaper option?

Thanks gang!

74wagon
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

8.8 rear swap in a wagon Empty Re: 8.8 rear swap in a wagon

Post by 73ss Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:03 pm

I dont know what size ring gear they used in the wagons. I assume they use the 8.5. It is something other than that? I know GM used some odd-ball stuff in the full size line.

Just wondering if you are not confused with the newer 8.6. GM went to a 8.6 in the late 90's on the trucks. They are interchangeable with the 8.5. I rebuilt the 8.5 in my 73 last winter and used a Motive gear set. The instructions say 8.5/8.6. The gear set covered a span of 40 years. 8.5 will fit a 8.6 carrier and vice-versa. The gear set I have has a place on the pinion gear shaft to install the ABS sensor so it will work with the newer stuff. If that is the case, there is plenty of support for these units. My overhaul went well. Nice and quiet, no clunks, no noise.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:57 am

The wagons received an oddball 8.75" rear end with a 10 bolt cut-out cover and a 12-bolt ring gear made by Cadillac (not the same as a Chevy 12 bolt). After market support for that axle does not exist!

The easy solution would be to replace with an 8.5" 10 bolt from a 73-77 coupe or sedan - that is a direct bolt in.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Did you get this rear end stuff figured out?

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down