G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

76 GMC Sprint Gauges

4 posters

Go down

76 GMC Sprint Gauges Empty 76 GMC Sprint Gauges

Post by Sammy384 Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm looking to upgrade the gauge cluster on my 1976 GMC Sprint. It currently has the round gauges and I simply want to replace them to make it look as original as possible. I have been considering going with Dakota Digital gauges, but they have never built a custom gauge cluster for the 1976 GMC Sprint. Has anyone had any experience with replacing/upgrading the gauges on the 4th generations? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sammy384
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

76 GMC Sprint Gauges Empty Re: 76 GMC Sprint Gauges

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:51 pm

Does your existing round cluster have the idiot warning lights...or, does it have the small Fuel, Temp, Volt and Clock gauges? If the latter, why not buy a decal kit that restores them to look exactly like the originals?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy384 Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:38 pm

Well, they are all original but they need to be restored. It had a fuel efficiency gauge that I would like to replace with a tach. Also, it has a clock that I would like to relate with voltage.

Sammy384
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:46 pm

Sammy384 wrote:   Also, it has a clock that I would like to relate with voltage.  

Not exactly sure what you mean by this as you already have a Volt gauge.

Biggest challenge is replacing the large Economizer gauge with a Tach...and, have it look original. Not aware of any aftermarkets that will look and fit like the original. Someone else can maybe chime in if they've found something. I can offer up some info if you want to restore your small gauges. I've restored several of these clusters and there is some info to be shared if you can find an original Tach cluster cheap that is in need of repair.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy384 Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:17 pm

Oops! My mistake. It does currently have a volt gauge. I want to replace the clock with an oil gauge.

Sammy384
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:45 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:Biggest challenge is replacing the large Economizer gauge with a Tach...and, have it look original.  Not aware of any aftermarkets that will look and fit like the original.  Someone else can maybe chime in if they've found something.

Most gauge manufacturers only offer 3-5/8" and 5", which are way too small and way too large, respectively. After a lot of searching, the closest thing size-wise I have found are the VDO units -- they make a 4" tach and speedo, which look reasonable IMO. Really for an exact fit you'd need something about 4-1/2".
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Turn you fuel gauge into a tach  Very Happy

Hawk03 wrote:Got board and wanted to try something to make another tach for cheap.

So I went from this:
76 GMC Sprint Gauges 20150810

With the help of a white face and this:
76 GMC Sprint Gauges 79tach10

To this:
76 GMC Sprint Gauges 20150811

Never hurts to have an extra tach. The guts are from a 1979 Corvette tach and I should be able to test it out Labor Day weekend.

https://www.g3gm.com/t8625p100-dead-tach-need-tach-filter

I installed new smaller fuel, volt, oil and temp gauges but to do this, you will need to trim the bezel and bracket to make them fit.

76 GMC Sprint Gauges 20180411
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Hawk's method is certainly the best for retaining the stock appearance!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:20 pm

Agree. You can even buy some black decals w/white lettering to further it's stock appearance.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down