G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Trunk Solenoid Release Install

2 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Power Trunk Solenoid Release Install Empty Power Trunk Solenoid Release Install

Post by Hawk03 Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:11 pm

I thought installing a factory trunk solenoid would be easy but I should know better by now. Do I need to cut some sheet metal to make the trunk release work? The solenoid itself installs fine but the flipper? rests on the V cut out (left of the lock shaft) and cannot move to the left when activated to push the lever to unlock the trunk. Am I installing it correctly? It seems like it can only go on one way though. Are the trunk locks different on certain years? This is on a 1977.

Power Trunk Solenoid Release Install 20191213
Power Trunk Solenoid Release Install 20191212
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Power Trunk Solenoid Release Install Empty Re: Power Trunk Solenoid Release Install

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:29 pm

Yes...you may need to grind off a little sheet metal so that "flipper" rod can move freely. I had forgotten about needing to do that. Think I used my Dremel with a grinding wheel bit and it didn't take much. I know that probably doesn't sit well with a freshly painted trunk lid...but, just put some touch-up paint on it and you'll be good.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Power Trunk Solenoid Release Install Empty Re: Power Trunk Solenoid Release Install

Post by Hawk03 Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:37 pm

Thanks Steve! Before I cut too much off and have a bigger issue I wanted to make sure that cutting some metal is what was needed. I'll go slow and touch it up as needed.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:02 am

Below is what I cut out and the trunk release works!

Power Trunk Solenoid Release Install 20191214
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down