G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alternator pivot spacer

5 posters

Go down

alternator pivot spacer Empty alternator pivot spacer

Post by FumiyoG3 Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:53 pm

I am trying to replace my alternator, and the long bolt with the spacer is stripped.  I cannot remove it so unfortunately my last resort is to cut it, and the spacer.

Does anyone know a part number for this alternator pivot bolt spacer?  It is for my 73 big block Laguna.  It's about 7/8" outside diameter and around 3-1/4" long. Or better yet, have a spare they could sell me?  I've tried to find the part and all I could find are aftermarket chrome ones, which would stick out like a sore thumb.

Any help would be appreciated,  thanks Thumbs up alternator pivot spacer Img_8710
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

alternator pivot spacer Empty Re: alternator pivot spacer

Post by ant7377 Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm

Use one of those bolt removers on the head. The kind that has teeth in it. I bought mine at Sears as a craftsman tool I bet Lowes sells it now. Works great. You won't have to cut anything just get a new bolt.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:51 pm

https://youtu.be/DUMSbPRWaNU

This
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion Ant7377.

I am able to turn the bolt head, but the bolt does not come out as I am turning it.  I have been able to get the bolt part way out, and the bolt head is not stripped.  But, the exposed threads that I can see are stripped, and it takes tremendous force to even turn the bolt head (even though it doesn't do anything to remove the bolt).  I am not sure what else I can do except cut the bolt & spacer, pull the alternator, pull the rest of the spacer off, and then figure out what i have to do to get the remaining portion of the bolt out.
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:34 pm

I'm sure you've probably already tried this...but, can you get somebody to pry outward on the bolt head as you try to loosen it?

I do have this spare spacer (already painted) and bolt I removed off a '73-'77 350 Chev engine somewhere along the way. Spacer measures 3 1/4" lg and about 7/8" dia...although, it's hard to measure the diameter due to it being kind of tear-drop shaped with that protruding bracket.  Imagine it's the same as yours.

alternator pivot spacer Chevya10

Last edited by Mcarlo77 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:02 pm

What if you cut or grind the head of the bolt off? Then you could slide the alternator and spacer off of the bolt to see what is going on. Of course you would have to remove the bracket that attaches to the water pump also.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:38 pm

fasrnur wrote:What if you cut or grind the head of the bolt off? Then you could slide the alternator and spacer off of the bolt to see what is going on. Of course you would have to remove the bracket that attaches to the water pump also.

That's what I was thinking. Then you should be able to remove the bolt and save the spacer.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:35 pm

Thanks again for the responses.

Mcarlo77, I already tried that. And fasrnur, thatfnthng I thought of that too, but there is actually a bracket in the front of it that would prevent it from sliding off the bolt. It seemed like a pain in the A$$ at the time to remove it because the smog pulley was in the way. I was feeling a little dejected at the time. But I went out and looked at it again just now, and I think I might give it a shot. It's 3 small bolts to remove the pulley, another 3 for the bracket, and there might just be enough clearance to slide the alternator off.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the motivation.
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:25 pm

Success!!!

Turns out the alternator that was on there had too small of a hole for the long bolt. The bolt was forced in. I guess I wasn't using enough force to get it back out.

Now I have to wait another couple weeks because the high output alternator I was installing doesn't have the right mounting hole for the spacer bracket. Neutral
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Glad you got it!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Always good when thing turn out for the best. Of course waiting for a part to finish it sucks. lol
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down