G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New guages needed

+3
Limey SE
Iggy
Keith Seymore
7 posters

Go down

New guages needed Empty New guages needed

Post by Keith Seymore Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Hello everybody -

Hope you are all doing well.

It's time for me to get new instrumentation. I'm still running the original factory gauges and they are no longer cutting it.

Does anyone have recommendations, or favorites?

Requirements are (not necessarily in this order): ease of installation (I'm not very electrically inclined), accurate enough for race applications, and closest appearance to the production gauges.

I'm asking specifically about a tachometer, engine temp, and engine oil pressure.

Thanks,

K

New guages needed 100_0442
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

New guages needed Empty Re: New guages needed

Post by Iggy Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:01 pm

May not be a price leader, but have you checked out Classic Instruments out of Boyne City? I know they do custom work if you sent them the factory stuff.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Well Well How about this Dakota Digital now offers Gauges for the 1973 -1977 Malibu Chevelle El Camino and Monte Carlo's HELL TO THE YES Choice of Red Blue or Aquamarine(ish) colors |

NO MORE OVERPRICED round gauge clusters ever

[url= https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=1271/category_id=424/mode=prod/prd1271.htm]

New guages needed Prd_1271

Last edited by Limey SE on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Oh man, I had to make my own and now they come out with these.

New guages needed D05e9b10
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:51 am

Keith, what about leaving the dash alone and putting an RPM activated shift light? I've seen them set up to be say on the 70-72 Chevelle in the hi beam port in the dash. So its hidden but is right between the 2 center gauges in the highest point of the dash.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:09 pm

I want those Dakota set up. One of you guys get it first and i will see how it goes. 😁
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:14 pm

Keith Seymore wrote:Hello everybody -

Hope you are all doing well.

It's time for me to get new instrumentation.  I'm still running the original factory gauges and they are no longer cutting it.

Does anyone have recommendations, or favorites?  

Requirements are (not necessarily in this order):  ease of installation (I'm  not very electrically inclined), accurate enough for race applications, and closest appearance to the production gauges.

I'm asking specifically about a tachometer, engine temp, and engine oil pressure.

Thanks,

K

New guages needed 100_0442

Wow for a race car, it looks production car fresh. Do you still street drive the car?

Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:53 am

bracketchev1221 wrote:Keith, what about leaving the dash alone and putting an RPM activated shift light?   I've seen them set up to be say on the 70-72 Chevelle in the hi beam port in the dash.  So its hidden but is right between the 2 center gauges in the highest point of the dash.

Good idea - I have a shift light and I mounted it up at the very top.

So - when the "tailgate ajar" telltale comes on - SHIFT!  (lol)

That takes care of the upper RPM ranges, but I do need a somewhat accurate tach for idle, launch rpm, etc.  Using the same technique I have determined that 3000 rpm actual is about 4000 rpm on my factory tach.

Sad

I am going to give those Dakota gauges a bit of thought, either as a package or individually.
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am

jerry46765 wrote:

Wow for a race car, it looks production car fresh.  Do you still street drive the car?

Thanks -

I have other cars I use to for cruising, or to go get ice cream, but - yes - a little bit.

One of the classes I compete in is called "True Street".  The game there is you have to drive 30 miles and then come back and make three back to back passes.  You are not allowed to do anything to the car after the cruise except let air out of the rear tires.  If you open the hood - you are out.  Winners are fastest overall, runner up, and then closest to 9.0, 10.0, 11.0 etc ETs all the way up to 16.0.

I have gone 9.996 at 136mph in that configuration:  street trim, through the mufflers, on a DOT tire, licensed and insured.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:14 pm

True Street sounds like something I would be interested in doing. So the car needs to remain a stock appearance or your preference?

I like the fact that you added safety equipment and didn't go crazy trying to gut the car to save weight.

Thanks for the information.

Jerry
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:28 pm

Keith Seymore wrote:
bracketchev1221 wrote:Keith, what about leaving the dash alone and putting an RPM activated shift light?   I've seen them set up to be say on the 70-72 Chevelle in the hi beam port in the dash.  So its hidden but is right between the 2 center gauges in the highest point of the dash.

Good idea - I have a shift light and I mounted it up at the very top.

So - when the "tailgate ajar" telltale comes on - SHIFT!  (lol)

That takes care of the upper RPM ranges, but I do need a somewhat accurate tach for idle, launch rpm, etc.  Using the same technique I have determined that 3000 rpm actual is about 4000 rpm on my factory tach.

Sad

I am going to give those Dakota gauges a bit of thought, either as a package or individually.

Gotcha.  Oh well.  I have done a bunch of stupid things to protect factory setups.  I had an autometer tach with quick disconnects so I could tune and set the idle in my SS 70 Nova so I didn't have to put a tach in it.  I didn't think about footbraking and trying to leave the line for starting line rpm.  I was a top bulb racer and had a transbrake and a 2 step, so I just put the chip in it and put it on the wood and let it fly!!!!
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down