G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurst Hatches Weatherstripping question

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Hurst Hatches Weatherstripping question  Empty Hurst Hatches Weatherstripping question

Post by 76GP50thGA Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:38 pm

Hello all. After some personal life drama after long lost I'm working on my 1976 Grand Prix 50th again. Its good to be working on it once again! I'm replacing the first design t-tops with an NOS 2nd design kit and nearing the end. Its taken some time but I'm really taking my time to make sure every step is right. I have the drivers side weatherstripping in place but noticing its very difficult to hook the tab on the t-top under the frame. Wondering if the very top edge of the weatherstripping should be horizontally notched to provide a space for the tab? Or, is the weatherstripping supposed to compress to provide the relief for the tab? If someone had a close up of the frame side of the t-top (2nd design only) this would help a great deal as I don't want to screw up a nearly irreplaceable set of NOS weatherstrips. Thanks in advance all. Great to be back!
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Hurst Hatches Weatherstripping question  Empty Re: Hurst Hatches Weatherstripping question

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:29 pm

Didn't realize the 2nd design Hurst Hatches would fit into the 1st design opening without modifications? I've got a 75 Hurst Olds with the 1st Design hatches and they probably could use new weatherstrip, but no one has them. Did your frames bolt right in? My experience with new weatherstripping is they all need to be "broken in" to some extent. If you have a steamer, get the area nice and hot on the weatherstrip where the tabs mount, then try to install your tops. If they don't want to go in without too much leverage, then steam them some more. Once installed, let them cool to room temp and set for a day or two and test the fit again. This will improve with more steam heat and time.

Hurst Hatches Weatherstripping question  Gen3_h11
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Hurst Hatches Weatherstripping question  Empty Re: Hurst Hatches Weatherstripping question

Post by 76GP50thGA Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:36 pm

Yes, they were designed to be retrofit into 1st design openings as a warranty\recall situation so they had to fit. Only slight trimming is required at the ends of the roof drop off. Any chance you could remove the tops from the frames and take a close up pic or two of the recess area where the tab from the top engages the frame?
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by parallax_ca Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:01 pm

slightly off topic, but i have a set of hurst hatch weatherstripping...nos. not sure when gen as did not know! Had 2 76 gp and a 77 gp convertible (yes that one). Long gone but weatherstripping still here (ontario canada). if any interest i will try to dig out of my parts "container (20ft sea can... far too many cars (diff makes) all gone, spares still here!)
gord
parallax@vianet.ca

parallax_ca
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:23 pm

parallax_ca wrote:slightly off topic, but i have a set of hurst hatch weatherstripping...nos.  not sure when gen as did not know!  Had 2 76 gp and a 77 gp convertible (yes that one).  Long gone but weatherstripping still here (ontario canada).  if any interest i will try to dig out of my parts "container (20ft sea can... far too many cars (diff makes) all gone, spares still here!)
gord
parallax@vianet.ca

I would be interested. Let me know if you can send pics.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Hurst Hatches Weatherstripping question  Empty ttop weatherstripping

Post by parallax_ca Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:12 pm

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:
parallax_ca wrote:slightly off topic, but i have a set of hurst hatch weatherstripping...nos.  not sure when gen as did not know!  Had 2 76 gp and a 77 gp convertible (yes that one).  Long gone but weatherstripping still here (ontario canada).  if any interest i will try to dig out of my parts "container (20ft sea can... far too many cars (diff makes) all gone, spares still here!)
gord
parallax@vianet.ca

can you email me direct? (above)
it might take a bit of time, had to redo my garage and alot of the parts were put into the container quickly!! ty

parallax_ca
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:16 pm

parallax_ca wrote:
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:
gord
parallax@vianet.ca

can you email me direct? (above)
it might take a bit of time, had to redo my garage and alot of the parts were put into the container quickly!! ty

Email sent. And those pics of the 2nd design tops were pics I found online. My Hurst has the 1st design tops so I don't think that would help much.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Hurst Hatches Weatherstripping question  Empty aren't there plenty of later GM Hurst fitted cars?

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:40 pm

Familiar with the Hurst T Tops but no expert. However there were Hurst T Tops in 77 and beyond. I assume that they had the corrected design rather than the leaky first design ( I think that was the problem with them). I would thus assume that they connected the same way even if they had different size glass. Just a thought.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down