G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads

4 posters

Go down

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Empty Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads

Post by zucchi Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:41 pm

Nearly 50 years of daily driving takes its toll on pedal pads…
Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads 20221210

Re-pops are out there that look adequate yet fit great…
Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads 20221211

The re-pops even have the correct part numbers on them…
Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads 20221212

Used the ol' handy-dandy heat gun to soften the old pad enough to remove it without destroying it. While I was at it, I also replaced the parking brake rubber pedal pad.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

73ss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Empty what is the problem with repro accelerator pedals?

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:28 am

I don't disagree about replacing pedals and pads but I have had difficulty in getting accelerator and emergency brake pedals that are similar or identical. I got a reman brake pedal assembly with pad that looked decent but have struck out with the other pads.
The issue with the repro accelerator pads is that they are much smaller than the pad I have (and assume original as I got the car when it was not that old).
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Empty Re: Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads

Post by zucchi Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:39 am

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:I have had difficulty in getting accelerator and emergency brake pedals…
I cannot advise regarding the accellator pedal but I used a Dorman/Help 20738 parking brake pad as my replacement; perfect fit.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Empty Re: Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads

Post by 73ss Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:17 pm

I decided to tidy some things up under the dash as well, This post comes at a good time. For a accelerator pedal, Many of the ones listed as fitting will not. My car has a tapered pedal, Fat at the bottom and it narrows down toward the top. Many of the ones listed are rectangular. To the best of my knowledge, The aftermarket does't make one for a '73. I did find the correct NOS one on e-bay but passed on the $40, It's a gas pedal after all. I did replace the tension spring on the back of the pedal, It doesn't flop around anymore. The pins & springs listed on most of the websites flat out won't work. The pin is not removable on mine and the springs shown aren't even close. I did find a correct NOS spring on e-bay. The seller listed it as fitting '73~'75.

TY for listing the part # for the parking brake pad.
Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads 20230213
Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads 20230214
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Empty still puzzled by tiny accelerator pads

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:55 pm

I managed to find a very good condition parking brake pedal assembly which had a very good condition pad already on it. But these weird tiny accelerator pads that everyone is selling puzzle me. If anyone verifies a direct fit accel pad i would appreciate the info.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:11 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:I managed to find a very good condition parking brake pedal assembly which had a very good condition pad already on it. But these weird tiny accelerator pads that everyone is selling puzzle me. If anyone verifies a direct fit accel pad i would appreciate the info.

I've got some good used accelerator pedals both skinny and wide. If you're interested I can take pics of both and see what you think.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:44 pm

Just found this on one of the FB Groups I follow.

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Nos_br10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Empty thanks g3chevy

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:51 pm

I will get back to you when I measure the accelerator pad in my car. I got a reman brake pedal assembly including pad some time ago so I'm good there. I also found an excellent condition parking/e brake pedal assembly which I just bought. So the accelerator pad is the pedal pad I still need.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:56 pm

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Just found this on one of the FB Groups I follow.

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Nos_br10

If you're going for a 100 point concourse car then NOS is the way to go. With shipping, the one I got is just over $18…
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393521429559

A quick check found this NOS brake pad for $45, free shipping…
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225400796653
This guy will even accept a "best offer"

Last edited by zucchi on Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added another link)
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Empty accel pedal size

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:25 pm

G3chevy,
My accel pedal is 6" long, 3 " at its widest and 2 inches at its narrowest. Thanks again.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:16 am

Here are the 3 different sizes of gas pedals I have. The largest one is from a Buick Regal.

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Gas_pe13
Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Gas_pe14
Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Gas_pe15

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Gas_pe16
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

73ss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Empty wild and crazy

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:32 am

I had no idea GM  made such a motley collection of accelerator pedals. I assume these are all from G3s? Are any of them 6 inches long? There is only one that is even 3 inches wide - the Buick Regal pedal. Unfortunately it seems in worse condition than my own pedal although it may just have dirt on it. Visually the second one has the greatest stylistic similarity to my pedal but it is definitely smaller. I think I was too hard on the makers of weird tiny accelerator pedals since GM may have set the standard with the one on the left. I guess I lifted up a flat GM rock and the bugs are there to see. But please  let me know the condition of the Buick pedal ie is it just dirt not wear, as it at least seems the right size.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:33 am

Thanks for posting the pics G3, I had no idea there were that many different linkage assemblies.
The one in the middle is what my car has. The extra hole in the linkage is for the kick down cable for the th-350 trans. The cable was moved to the carb in '75 or '76? What is the assembly on the left from? Does the linkage have a removable pin to hold the pedal on? E-bay link is for a NOS pedal that my 73 has. The pin on the linkage is non-removable and takes the spring that I posted earlier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175206318876?hash=item28cb1c431c:g:GXMAAOSwe59iNToJ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoLot9Nl%2BAdsMYuN9zein9CySk6Torc6gFBotD9Dm0xLay%2FS3QBDBMHlGgrPd5%2F0SPeyUPYzpHTGYuN%2BohKJsYiuV4xYM6kfsc61x18P0KjGUfTthnxrMupUUKPcTzvRWgxWPj8QLWW36sl0qjvK9ezTP8YNqOusA3X5TX6pBuT77gcrZsCbh8%2FJMlzHESqM0KeqPwUWoEN%2BIEFsotjvAN4I%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6yrntLMYQ
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:25 pm

73ss wrote:Thanks for posting the pics G3, I had no idea there were that many different linkage assemblies.
The one in the middle is what my car has. The extra hole in the linkage is for the kick down cable for the th-350 trans. The cable was moved to the carb in '75 or '76?

I believe it was moved in 1975. Most of the brackets I see apply to the 75-77 Chevelle. But of course I and they might be mistaken.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:39 pm

73ss wrote:Thanks for posting the pics G3, I had no idea there were that many different linkage assemblies.
The one in the middle is what my car has. The extra hole in the linkage is for the kick down cable for the th-350 trans. The cable was moved to the carb in '75 or '76? What is the assembly on the left from? Does the linkage have a removable pin to hold the pedal on? E-bay link is for a NOS pedal that my 73 has. The pin on the linkage is non-removable and takes the spring that I posted earlier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175206318876?hash=item28cb1c431c:g:GXMAAOSwe59iNToJ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoLot9Nl%2BAdsMYuN9zein9CySk6Torc6gFBotD9Dm0xLay%2FS3QBDBMHlGgrPd5%2F0SPeyUPYzpHTGYuN%2BohKJsYiuV4xYM6kfsc61x18P0KjGUfTthnxrMupUUKPcTzvRWgxWPj8QLWW36sl0qjvK9ezTP8YNqOusA3X5TX6pBuT77gcrZsCbh8%2FJMlzHESqM0KeqPwUWoEN%2BIEFsotjvAN4I%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6yrntLMYQ

Glad to help. I learn stuff everyday about these cars after digging through all my parts I've accumulated over the years. I believe they moved the kickdown to the carb in 76. My 75 Laguna has the kickdown connected at the gas pedal and the 76 Laguna parts car I have is connected at the carb. I'll have to look at the back of the pedals tomorrow to verify, but I think all 3 pedals had a fixed pin retaining the pedal to the rod.

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:40 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:I had no idea GM  made such a motley collection of accelerator pedals. I assume these are all from G3s? Are any of them 6 inches long? There is only one that is even 3 inches wide - the Buick Regal pedal. Unfortunately it seems in worse condition than my own pedal although it may just have dirt on it. Visually the second one has the greatest stylistic similarity to my pedal but it is definitely smaller. I think I was too hard on the makers of weird tiny accelerator pedals since GM may have set the standard with the one on the left. I guess I lifted up a flat GM rock and the bugs are there to see. But please  let me know the condition of the Buick pedal ie is it just dirt not wear, as it at least seems the right size.

These pedals are "daily driver" quality. So if you're looking for very nice, these are not it.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Time to replace rubber brake pedal pads Empty thanks g3

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:54 pm

My accel pad could use upgrade but is in better condition than the ones posted unfortunately. Thanks for your informative pictures as I now realize this is going to be more difficult than I had thought. There is widespread incorrect labeling of accel pad fitment on the car parts sites and ebay. Most sites don't even answer questions such as rockauto and partsgeek; the latter site chat agent put me through a laughable run around on an engine part. Of course GM might also have been lackadaisical about installing just one pad type on their cars too. Maybe I should just put a ribbon on my current pedal.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:09 am

73ss wrote:The one in the middle is what my car has.
The same goes for my '74 Monte Carlo.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:41 pm

zucchi wrote:
73ss wrote:The one in the middle is what my car has.
The same goes for my '74 Monte Carlo.

I see the pedal is still available on e-bay if you are looking for a new one, I thought about getting it but figured it would quickly wear out from stomping it to the floor on a frequent basis. Very Happy , I cleaned up the old one and it doesn't look too bad. Is your spring behind the pedal still intact?
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:52 pm

[KNOCK ON WOOD]

Fortunately, mine's still complete, in one piece, and the spring works.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down