G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weather stripping and window seals after paint

2 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Weather stripping and window seals after paint  Empty Weather stripping and window seals after paint

Post by Nutnhoney29 Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:18 am

Just looking for advice on what you have found for best fit for door and trunk 5 piece weather striping. Also inner felt and outer window seal on 2 door 77 Malibu Classic. Another idea is since vinyl top is gone switching to sport roof look and delete vinyl top trim. Headliner is in good condition so any changes outside can not require removing it.
Nutnhoney29
Nutnhoney29
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Weather stripping and window seals after paint  Empty Re: Weather stripping and window seals after paint

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:12 pm

There has been much discussion on weatherstripping over the years.  Most revolving around fitness of aftermarket roof rail and trunk w/s.  Some have had decent luck with Steele, Soffseal and Metro Molded.  Others have not.  With aftermarket, it seems to be hit or miss; primarily due to the variables in the extrusion process and compounding of sponge.  I was in this business for years and know all too well how runs can vary from batch to batch unless strict quality control is maintained.  Personally, I'd go with NOS if they can be found.  My personal experience with trunk seals is with using Metro Molded's TK46-16.  Seemed to be next best thing to NOS.  Don't think the door seals are as much of a big deal where you buy them as the fitment isn't as critical.

The door inner and outer felt strips are reproduced and sold by The Parts Place and probably others if you search the internet.  Some complained of minor fitment issues on the ends with the outers, too...but, could be made to fit.  Again, NOS is preferred if you can find them.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down