G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CT question

+2
Terminator
JB2wheeler
6 posters

Go down

CT question Empty CT question

Post by yogreasygramma Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:05 am

OK, first of all, I do not want to make any enemies over at chevytalk.org. I just found the place a week ago and signed up. I think it's a fantastic site with a lot of important material and great people. The reason I'm asking this question here is I noticed that some people here came from over there and may be able to help me understand more about the site and the way it's run. I didn't even realize what "CT" meant until a week ago when I stumbled upon that site by accident. Frankly, I'm surprised that I never heard of that site before, and if I had, I'd have been over there years ago.

Anyway, here's the situation. I signed up a week ago and went directly to the Monte Carlo section to check out their rides, and made a few comments. So far, so good. Then, I started delving into the depths of fantastic information there, and looked at some Camaros, Chevelles, Impalas, and then a thread about Scooby Doo's Mystery Van caught my eye, so I clicked on the 1960-66 truck section and read about a guy named Brady who is rescuing a 66 Chevy van and making a replica of that cartoon van. Then I realized I have a set of Cragar chrome wire basket rims from the 70s in very good condition, and since I don't need them, I wanted to donate them to this guy's project. So I posted that if he wanted them, they were his free for the asking, but he'd have to pay postage to have them shipped to him. He thought it was a great idea, and asked for pictures, so I posted a picture for him, and then I got a private message from a moderator named Highlander notifying me that my two posts had been deleted because they were in violation of CT's advertising policy. He was very courteous, even sorry he had to remove the posts, and apologized for it, and welcomed me to the forum. He also posted something to that effect, and I answered him thanking him for welcoming me, and apologizing for inadvertantly violating the forum's policies. I don't hold him personally responsible for this, but it did make me feel a bit unwanted and criminal for having offered something for free. Can someone please explain to me the politics or procedures over there and how it's a violation of their policy to offer something for free?

Brady also posted this comment after finding out about the deletions:

09-05-08 07:07 AM - Post#1515470
In response to hilandr451

* hilandr451 Said:

Hetman,

er, this is rather awkward, but welcome to our forum!

While I can appreciate the charitable gesture behind your first posting here, I have to ask that you please keep that sort of thing off-line. If you'd like, you can start a private topic with Brad to do the deal.

Thanks,

---your friendly neighborhood moderator.

I have to admit, that I too am surprised that someone's post offering help with the project gets deleted. It's not like money was being gained. Deletion pretty ruins the entire point of the message board, if people who want to help can't even share their information with everyone else and at least receive the credit for it. I was going to ask the board a question about the wheels as I don't know much about these vehicles yet or what they are capable of, but since his post is deleted and all of its information and photo, I guess I can't; so maybe I won't be able to accept the kind offer to help get this van on the road again after 15 years of sitting in a field and 5 years being stuck in the dirt.

-Brady

So does anyone here know what can be the motivation behind this policy? I asked Brady if he wanted the wheels because I thought they would be really cool for his project. I guess if I had known it was illegal to give something away, or mention it in the forum, I could have contacted him privately, but I didn't realize I was in violation. I thought his thread was the proper place to address the issue, because it was about his project. So I guess I made a bad impression over there, and I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot. I think CT is a great place.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

CT question Empty Re: CT question

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:59 pm

Rules are rules. You put the moderator on the spot. He has a tough job, but if he makes an exception in your case then some yahoo would say he was playing favorites. You were supposed to send Brady a Personal Message and that would keep it off the main forum page. You will see a place at the top of the index page over there that says something simular to "My Account", Thru that you can send PMs (Personal Messages). JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:23 pm

JB, thanks for the input. I don't disagree with the moderator doing what he has to do given the rules for the forum. I simply had no idea, and still have a hard time believing that discussion of relevent topic issues can be so limited. It wasn't only about offering something for free; putting it in the topic allowed others to participate, give their opinion on the suitability of the wheel choice given the project's aims, and even tell if the wheels would fit the van (which I don't know).

Whatever.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminator Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:56 pm

Yogreasy I can elaborate for you.

Some of the forums on CT are small and could handle some "do you want this" posts without problems. However that would open the floodgates in the large forums (Camaro, Pickups etc.) This would lead to all sorts of buying/selling chatter.

That rule is too tough in my opinion as well, but I can understand the reasons. I have also seen other forms where parts swapping gets out of hand. Most large message boards also do not allow buying/selling/asking/offering in the main forums.

Terminator
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:31 pm

greasymama you can post it for him the freebie section towards the top of the forum under supporting members as long as its free it does not violate the CT rules and that is from 74lagunaS3(chevytalk) aka terminator here

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:53 pm

They locked me out and i was a platinum supporting member, I said i would no longer post there and they locked me out from logging in?? And to think i was a supporting member.
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:27 am

Terminator, thanks for shedding some light on the situation. I guess I can understand if there's so much swapping going on in a topic, it could get out of hand.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Chevellegirl Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:31 am

If you would still like to let the guy know about the wheels for the van project, you could send him a message via Private Topic.
That is certainly allowed, as I've done it many times.

Very Happy
Jacki
Chevellegirl
Chevellegirl
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi Jacki! Yes, we communicated via PM and also email. He's got the rims on the van now, all polished up, and pics are on the site already. They look awesome! Almost wish I hadn't given them away. But it's his project and I'm glad to help it look cool.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down