G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Question

+11
Graham Perkins
fishhead
74MonteCarlo
1973 454 MONTE
JB2wheeler
Wallyuph
Joe73
BK-75
Brainstain
ant7377
77mali
15 posters

Go down

One Question Empty One Question

Post by fishhead Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Why do you love your G3?
I'll start the list:
It isn't turtle-shaped like the 68-72 models.
John DeLorean re-designed the suspension in 1973
Its comfy at 120mph
It has lightweight plastic front fenderwells
Its rare
It doesn't attract po-po like camaros
Plenty of headroom in back seat
Not widely respected=reasonable prices
Room for big cubes under hood

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

One Question Empty Re: One Question

Post by 77mali Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:42 pm

I had a 77 Cutlass Salon (My 1st car) I fell in love with it at first sight when I was 16. Grew up with these cars in the 80's. Mine was 10 years old when I graduated High-Sckrewl.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:55 pm

I remember the mid\late 70'S Cutlass in Nascar when they caught my interest.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Our family car when I was a kid was first a 73 Cutlass supreme then a 75 Monte. They were THE cars to drive back then so it kinda has that aura around it too. Handles great too.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:29 pm

I love odd ball stuff. I couldn't stand being one of the 100 70-72's you see at a show.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-75 Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:21 am

Grew up in the 70’s, these Big GM A bodys were all over New York City

Mid 70’s NASCAR

My first car (77’ Grand Prix SJ)

When I met my Wife she drove a 77 Malibu (Inline 6)

The bodylines, fenders, wheel well openings and big bumpers..

I can go on and on, something about these cars left a huge imprint!
BK-75
BK-75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 am

When I was looking for my first car in 1982 I couldnt come up with a reasonably priced, non butchered, chevelle with a 4 spd, no less a supersport. Then I came upon my 73 SS with 4spd and posi. Didnt know much about them but they looked pretty cool and looked easy to work on. So I bought it. Greatest move I've made.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 am

My first car was a 1963 Pontiac Catalonia convertible that my brother gave me for X-mas when I was 16. I had it for a year and a half and wish I still had it. Now to the point of One question post.
The first car I bought my self was a 1973 Malibu. Below is the only photos I have of it. It only left me stranded ounce when Timing chain jumped on those plastic teeth. I always loved this body style and the way they ride. To me you can go with bench seats or buckets, Fast or slow, jacked up rear or lowered. The ideas are endless. Plus its fun for me when people ask what kind of car is that? I have always liked this body style as its what I grew up with.
One Question Wallay11

One Question Wallys10
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:47 am

I've always liked the colonade roofline on these cars. The roofline is a big factor on whither a car looks good or not. I hate cars with chopped tops 99% of the time. I also like the room you have for large wheels on these cars. I like some things about my 78 Elkie, but I can't get large meat under it. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:39 pm

KISS was BIG in the mid 70's.My 73 "BOO" is a time machine that takes me back to my glory days of late-night street racing and hanging out at the local hotspots.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Bought my first 75 monte in 1984 because my uncle told me too. 22 of them later, i would not change a thing.

Top speed in my 75, needle went all the way around the 120 speedo and pointed to the "R". I guess 145, stuck to road like glue. Very Happy
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I really like them because they are uncommon. Especially around here, they all met the fate of the bone yard due to excessive road salt.

My car brings back a lot of memories for people, too. When I show it, I get a lot of people saying they had one, or their parents did, or a friend did. They all knew someone that had one.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:19 pm

I don't street race anymore due to the dangers to others and risk of severe penalties by the po-po but I had tons of fun embarassing the new generation musclecar owners in front of their dates on saturday night runs against my "big black car." GoFast

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Perkins Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 pm

I have had 11 g3gm's so far , all chevy's 1 laguna 4 monte's, 2 elcamino's,4 malibu classic's. When I was a teenager they were a cheap used car that looked great with rally wheels or cragars. Now they are a affordable classic that drives much better than cars from the 60's. I live in Canada so the cars that are driven all year around rot out fast, so there are not many around.
When we go to a local show or cruise night with our malibus we get as much attention as the people with the big dollar chevelles and camaros.
That is one of the things I like most.

Thanks Graham
Graham Perkins
Graham Perkins
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:50 pm

I dont own one anymore, to tell you the truth, it makes me sick to see any 73 chevelle because of what all I went through to just end up with empty pockets and a hurt heart.

One Question SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:44 am

Same as most of the posts here. Bought my first one in HS from my grandparents. It was a 75 Malibu with a 350 turbo 400 and a posi. Granpa was a gearhead too he ordered this from the factory that way! Like every stupid kid of the day I didnt know what I had. It only had 5000 miles on it when I bought it because they never drove it in the winter. Kept it for 7 years and traded it for a bike. Now I realise how stupid that was but that was then.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Famstyle Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Like most, a car crazy kid! I watched any racing that came on reg. TV back in theday! We know back then it was scarce! The 77 , one of many family cars. But the one I liked the Best! We got it used only a year old ,78! I passed on and 67 firebird for the 77, Mom couldnt change my mind for the world! Later i happened across a blue landu s3, I wish I' d pick that one up too! Too young at the time not enough cash lol!tc
Famstyle
Famstyle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:49 pm

I came home from the hospital when I was born in my first '76 Chevelle. My parents managed to keep that car till I turned 16, and I drove it daily for 8 years, till pressure from school travels, parents and the fact it tried to kill me made me retire it. Once I retired it my friends and I took a good look at its condition and I decided that I could not feasibly keep it and at the time its needs were far above my skills and parts availablitly - needed floors and quarters and being a 4 door, no parts.

I picked up my green 77 on a whim 3 years ago for a screaming price. I've got about $1300 in it total and its almost become my daily driver. It's very unique, drives well, and I can leave it in a parking lot and not worry too much about it.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down