G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interior Painting

+3
The Dude
bramey
IndyG3
7 posters

Go down

Interior Painting Empty Interior Painting

Post by bramey Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:15 am

I am restoring my '77 Chevelle and need some information on painting the interior panels. As we all know, plastic and vinyl fades and discolors with age and mine is no exception.

I have the parts, they have been removed from the car and I need the original color vinyl/plastic paint.

Any ideas where I can get this stuff?

Thanks
bramey
bramey
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Interior Painting Empty Re: Interior Painting

Post by IndyG3 Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:39 am

You can get some dye that comes in spray cans now. I hear most of it works really well.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bramey Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:48 am

Is it original colors, or limited?
bramey
bramey
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:35 am

Usually they can be found in a variety of colors. Heed my warning though because I have personally made this mistake once. If you don't make sure to wash everything with a good detergent to get all of the years of Armor All etc. out, it will begin to peel in no time. I sprayed my 70 interior black because I didn't like the saddle color at the time. I cleaned it up, but not good enough. Within 2 weeks the seats were flaking, the plastic pieces lasted a few months. Had I taken more time to clean it or possibly used a different cleaner it may have lasted. Sadly I hardly ever follow directions.

Here is an example of what to expect. I'm sure there are other brands out there with more color selections.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/vht-vinyl-dye.aspx

Check some of the restoration places like Year One, Goodmark, OPGI, or Eastwood to see if exact color matches are available.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:17 pm

do NOT use the stuff i used, its a spraay can Vynil for auto interior and it looks great but if you touch it with just alittle dirt on your hands it turns white and then if you try to clean it it rubs off and looks like whoa nelly, im peeling it all of now and im going to get some interior paint from OPGI or PADDOCK
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:05 pm

I just got dye, prepkote, etc. from Parasol.com. We are going to dye the backs of the bucket seats in about 2 weeks. IF there's enough left, we might have a few things that we'll use the extra dye on. We only got a pint, but coming out of a spray gun, that should be enough. I'll let you know how they turn out. Visit Parasol and see what you think.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:52 pm

HDHugger wrote:I just got dye, prepkote, etc. from Parasol.com. We are going to dye the backs of the bucket seats in about 2 weeks. IF there's enough left, we might have a few things that we'll use the extra dye on. We only got a pint, but coming out of a spray gun, that should be enough. I'll let you know how they turn out. Visit Parasol and see what you think.

id like to know how it works out i use that plastic paint for the interior and that Turd is just garbage
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:36 pm

I painted the whole interior of my Laguna, back in 1997. I used SEM white interior dye. It has held up great for all these years. My original color was white, I even painted the swivel bucket seats, just to freshen them up a little, it looked awesome when done. they needed to be re covered, but no one made covers at the time, so this was a cheaper alternative. I used simple green to clean everything prior to paint. We use SEM interior dye at the body shop all the time.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down