G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting the engine bay

+2
1973 454 MONTE
77mali
6 posters

Go down

Painting the engine bay Empty Painting the engine bay

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 am

So my first order of business on the 73 is to clean up the engine bay. The motor looks good, but the fender wells, radiator support and fan shroud need cleaned up and painted. Is there a "correct" shade of black to use? Flat? Semi? Satin? SUPER FREAKIN' SHINY? ok, maybe not that last one. If anyone has a HQ picture of a sweet original engine bay, that would be great for reference. I think I did my 76 in semi-gloss, and it looks good, but since the 73 has got to keep the original look as much as possible, I wanted to know which color is closest to factory.

oh! and what about things like the radiator and a/c brackets? the a/c hose brackets? Were they all glossy?
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Painting the engine bay Empty Re: Painting the engine bay

Post by 77mali Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:33 am

You can still get the correct GM paint if you want to spend the $$$. I'm still in the process of doing this but so far I like the Duplicolor satin black as a finish but I'm not keeping the original colors as it's kind of a hot rod at this point. They also make "factory" color matched paint in cans. Check out SEM paint too they may have exact matches as well.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Eastwood has a lot of paint made especially for the engine bay. Yes, they are expensive, but have good products. Check out their catalog. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:28 pm

when i did my 73 in 2002,i did not paint the inner fenders.they look like they may of never had paint at all from the factory.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:55 pm

I wipe my inner fenders with wd 40 and that makes them look good, just have to do it once in a while. Clean them good with soap and water first.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:05 am

the inner fenders were already painted gloss black when i got the monte.i dont like it. should of changed it
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:17 am

I saw a mid 70s Elky painted all black and under the hood it was painted gloss black almost everywhere. The car looked great, but that gloss black under the hood looked terrible. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Gloss black is not good looking at all. I used either a semi gloss or low gloss on my 76. I don't think the fenders were painted from the factory, but after thirty some odd years, they lose.their nice look. I may try a low gloss or satin on the radiator support and see how much of a difference it makes in its overall appearance.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down