G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Pick Paint

+5
75 Classic
The Dude
BlackChevelleSS
IndyG3
bigredlaguna
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to Pick Paint  Empty How to Pick Paint

Post by 75 Classic Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:00 pm

Hey fellas in the process of re doing my 75 Malibu Classic. And was wondering how you guys come up with the colors that you did for your rides. I have looked at many color sheets and schemes on all different vehicles but just dont know what to decide on so how did u guys do it let me know some helpful hints or some colors you think would look good

75 Classic
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

How to Pick Paint  Empty Re: How to Pick Paint

Post by 77malibu77 Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:15 pm

75 Classic wrote:Hey fellas in the process of re doing my 75 Malibu Classic. And was wondering how you guys come up with the colors that you did for your rides. I have looked at many color sheets and schemes on all different vehicles but just dont know what to decide on so how did u guys do it let me know some helpful hints or some colors you think would look good

first off we need pictures! we are pic hounds

next id reccommend using a template and print it out and get out your crayons and start deciding what color looks best on it.
then you can pick the shade of color.

here check out this topic
https://www.g3gm.com/g3-project-pictures-f10/some-pics-to-help-with-your-rides-paint-t2475.htm?highlight=some+pics+to+help+with+your+rides+paint
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 am

Welcome to the forum 75 Classic! To be honest, I'm right there with you. If you think I'm crazy, here's just a FEW ideas that have ran through my head on my 76:

Rootbeer/Beige two tone
Sunset Orange Metallic with black or white 73 stripes
Gunmetal Gray with black 73 stripes
Black Cherry
Silver
Original gold/brown color

Picking paint can be a hard task, but if you have a general idea of which direction you want to go (obviously I don't) then it get's easier to narrow down your selection. What general color are you looking at or are you bouncing around like I am? If you find yourself stuck between two specific colors, you could always post a poll on here. Thumbs up
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:37 pm

First, what color is your interior? Second, pick a color you like best that matches the interior color. Third, concentrate on variations of the color you picked and then come back for our suggestions. I have a green interior and exterior and the trouble is I am stuck with green because of the interior. My interior is near mint and I dont want to dye it black or grey, which will match just about anything. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:23 pm

HEy JB, I have found that black or white exteriors look good with the green interior, in my opinion.

Choosing the color you want is one of the hardest decisions.

How to Pick Paint  SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:03 pm

You also need to consider what kind of a car you're going after. Do you want something that looks like a factory job, or do you prefer colors that can be a little more custom? I know my car is a factory Poly-metallic color, but with more flake thrown in.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:31 pm

I would look at newer factory colors. Mid-90's and newer have pearlized metallics that would look custom on these cars and you could still get touch up paints to take care of rock chips and other minor dings.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 75 Classic Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:58 pm

well guys thanks for all the suggestions. But my interiors is black so it goes with about anything. and the factory paint is a good idea but i dont want anything on my car factory from any era. i want a head turner with paint that looks like mirrors on the side of the car i wanna be able to shave in the paint. i will probally get some type of pearl from house of kolor but like rago said i am really bouncing around with what type of paint job i want either a two tone or a racing stripe job

75 Classic
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 am

How would you like black on the car? A good paint job done with black in it always grabs people's attention. That would also go good with just about any two tone you would want. Or, you could also do a stripe, although most of those have been done before. I wonder what a Chevelle would look like with the Grand Sport stripe. Hmm.... Cool
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:02 am

one really cool color that would be hard to get is the mystic paint used on the mustang cobras with the SN95 body style. Its sweet look it up.

Also a color changing peril in a black base color has been one of my favorites.

How to Pick Paint  SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75 Classic Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:23 am

yea black would be awesome and i like it because when you see a very nice black paint job it does make you stop and say wow

but i was thinking of a gunmetal grey with a satin finish with black pearl racing strips

75 Classic
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:34 am

75 Classic wrote:but i was thinking of a gunmetal grey with a satin finish with black pearl racing strips

Similar to what I've been thinking about. I think it would look sweet! Possibly even ghost stripes to make people really have to scope out your ride. Beer
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 75 Classic Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:18 pm

not a bad idea ghost stripes would be sweet only thing is i dont want it to look like i just sprayed primer you know what i mean so how would u go about that

75 Classic
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:06 pm

Pleaswe, no satin or flat paint jobs. They really messed up the PHR car with the satin black paint. There are just too many excellant combinations of paint to be specific, but satin or flat aint one of 'um. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:28 pm

JB makes a good argument. Satin gunmetal is going to look like the primer used on the movie Two Lane Blacktop IMHO which was nothing more than black primer rubbed down with thinners if I remember correctly.

How to Pick Paint  Tlb2004j

I guess I didn't see the satin part, but if you were going that route, then primer with a sealant would give you the same results. If you want to go with a Semi-gloss maybe that would help & then do the ghost stripes in gloss? Problem with doing a semi-gloss to gloss is the clear coat that would need to be laid over it all to make the stripes uniform with the paint. Maybe someone with more painting experience can chime in on this subject?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Thats simple, just do like PHR did their car, shoot satin clear over the top of the paint and "bingo" no gloss. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Yeah, but if he's wanting gloss stripes, then it wouldn't work. Since clear is the last thing shot to give the entire car a smooth feel & look, how would this be possible? I'm sure it is, just not sure of the procedure.....
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 75 Classic Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:30 pm

I dont know about the primer and sealer option but i found a pic of a 70 chevelle by googleing it and it was on another forum and i didnt know if we was allowed ro post other form links but the gray metallic looks awesome but also found a nova with a gloss gunmetal which looks killer as well

75 Classic
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 75 Classic Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:32 pm

just saw the post about the clear i think u could shoot the whole car in satin clear smooth is and then lay down the stripes and then clear them with gloss just over the strips i am sure everything would have to be taped up well

75 Classic
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Feel free to post whatever pics you want as long as they're family friendly. Thumbs up
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 75 Classic Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:42 pm

here is the link for the nova it is a two tone job but i will most likely be doing racing stripes

https://media.photobucket.com/image/gm%20gunmetal%20grey%20nova/pukegreen71/IMG_0594.jpg

75 Classic
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 75 Classic Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:42 pm

here is the chevelle

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230714&page=4

75 Classic
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 74chick Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:00 am

Red and Black
74chick
74chick
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:24 am

Sure, the 70 Chevelle looks good the way it is, but think how much better it would look with high gloss. I like solid black and black and red and black and guinmetal or silver. I like maroon & grey/silver also. But none of them in satin, lol. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 am

IMHO, I believe cars should shine. A very good friend of mine is painting his 69 Camaro flat blue. I know it'll look good when done, but it just won't get that same "first glance" from people. To each their own, but I still don't understand spending the exact same amount of time and money to paint a car satin over gloss.

To each their own though.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next