G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did you guys pick your rims

+20
The Dude
JasonZ
77malibu77
Roadcaptain S3
badbiscayne66
Limey SE
orange Juiced
junk yard creeper
74 chevelle malibu
JiMi_DRiX
Marshall.Pixley
lars
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
Jim_Rockford
74MonteCarlo
74Malibu383
Malicruiser
chevy76monteman
IndyG3
75 Classic
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How did you guys pick your rims  Empty How did you guys pick your rims

Post by 75 Classic Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 am

Hey was also wondering how you guys picked the rims on your car. did you stay with a traditional look or do you go with some of the newer style rims like something from foose or boyd. I have two in mind i like the old school style rims but i want something new and still old school feel so i was thinking about the boss 338 or the boyd's crown jewel lets hear those opinions guys and thanks for all the feedback on my paint choices

75 Classic
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

How did you guys pick your rims  Empty Re: How did you guys pick your rims

Post by IndyG3 Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:29 am

My ralleys came on my car. They look good and didn't cost me anything extra Laughing
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am

I think eventually I'm going to go with a salt-flat style wheel. They look pretty good on these cars.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:41 am

I wanted premium wheerls, but I want the stealth factor, so I bought the cernterline wheels that have a hubcap look. You see them, but you know they look good and think they are stock wheels. I bought 17 inch wheels so I could upgrade to larger brakes later on without buying more wheels. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:55 am

ya im going with the centerlines but lets not have everyone on here with them lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:39 pm

The original owner picked them for me Razz

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:46 pm

I met the owners of Rushforth Wheels and liked their style. After talking to them, was able to get in on a bulk wheel order with 9 other people for a discount.

At the time, they were a fairly new wheel company. I figured I could get a wheel that not many other people had. I'm not a big fan of seeing 2000 other cars with the same rims as me.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:17 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:I figured I could get a wheel that not many other people had. I'm not a big fan of seeing 2000 other cars with the same rims as me.

EXACTLY thats what i want but a lot of people have center line wheels
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy76monteman Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:54 pm

I made the decision when I first acquired my car about my wheels.

In 1987 My grandfather had a set of 15x7 wire-basket wheels put on the car and I liked them a lot. I felt that they suited the car extremely well. When I got the car in 2000, I decided that these will be the only style of wire-wheels I want on the car and that if anything happened to them, since they are no longer made and are impossible to find (especially in good shape), I would go back to either Turbine II's or Chevy Rally's. Everybody puts Cragars and American Racing Torque Thrusts on their classic/muscle cars and with the body style, they wouldn't work with me. If I had a 73-75, the possibility of Cragar S/S's was there, but not a 76-77. Also, I don't find 99% of wire wheels appealing. I'm not a lowrider person. As for anything larger than a 17-inch wheel... forget about it. Donks are an abomination... PERIOD.

Well as fate would have it, in January 2005 during a 2-day ice storm, I slid into a curb and bent one of my wheels. A local shop, which repaired some curb damage to one of the wheels 4 years prior, went out of business and since the wire-basket wheels I had were impossible to find, I decided to go with the 15x7 silver painted Chevy Rally wheels since the Rally's where optional wheels for the Monte Carlo from 1970 through 1977. I tried to find a nice set of Turbine II's, but those are almost impossible to find too (dammit, grandpa, why did you have to get rid of the original Turbines?).
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:21 pm

Whatever I can get cheap

How did you guys pick your rims  SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:09 am

i have pontiac ralleys on my el camino right now but i really like the yearone z/28 replica wheels...their decently priced as well.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:13 am

I love the Z wheels, Im thinking about putting my set on my 70 and putting the keystones I got from rago on the 4 door

How did you guys pick your rims  SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:32 am

Originally I was planning to build my Chevelle as a street going version of a Nascar, so I bought the appropriate Basset wheels to get that look. Then PHR built project Talladega , so my plans changed to the pro-touring style. The only wheels that fit the image of what I'm going for are Tenzo R Type M's or C6 Corvette ZR1 Wheels.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Rockford Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:31 am

Cheapest for me.
Jim_Rockford
Jim_Rockford
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:47 am

Depends. If it's my daily driver, I look for cheap wheels that look decent. Great example is the aluminum Corvette Rallies on my 76. $100 & searching Craigslist for a day was all that it cost me. I like cheap for a DD.

OTOH, when I retire it from daily driving (possibly retired now Wink ) I'm going for a lightweight 3 piece forged aluminum design. Cost will still be a factor, but weight & looks will be my main determining factors. I'm thinking Centerline Convo Pros since I've wanted them for nearly ten years now. If I can find a set though, I really want some Mickey Thompson ET Drags. They just stopped producing them, but surely they'll pop up on RJ, CL, or eBay.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25 am

chevy76monteman wrote: As for anything larger than a 17-inch wheel... forget about it. Donks are an abomination... PERIOD.

I agree that Donks are an abomination, but I don't think I'd put anything larger that 17's in that category.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:37 am

Hell on our cars even 20's don't look too out of place. 22"+ rims on ours look ridiculous. IMHO a set of 17-19" wheels is more Pro Touring / G Machine than anything. I'm old fashioned though & will likely stick with 15s until they stop making tires for them.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:41 am

I'm obviously partial to the bigger rims. Smile As long as the stance is right and everything tucks.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:46 pm

I normally am not big on large tires/wheels, but if the stance is good, like Bryan said, I love it. There's a 69 Torino in my area with HUGE...f'ing HUGE rears...they look like they're about 2'+ wide. I love that car, becasue they are tubbed out and tucked in so well, it has a factory stance. One bad A$$ car...saw it last night when I went to a show.

I'm with Rago too. I'll have 15"s until they stop making them!

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Rockford Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:37 am

I haven't seen any wheels over 17inches that even look halfway decent all of em look like a bag of smashed a**holes.
Jim_Rockford
Jim_Rockford
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:32 pm

BlackChevelleSS wrote:I love the Z wheels, Im thinking about putting my set on my 70 and putting the keystones I got from rago on the 4 door

yeah the yearone z's are great...im going to lower my elco 2 inches, paint in burnt orange metallic (where the blue is) and then pearl white where the white it, and put the chrome z wheels on it...maybe the gun metal ones but i think chrome would look better.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Malicruiser wrote:Originally I was planning to build my Chevelle as a street going version of a Nascar, so I bought the appropriate Basset wheels to get that look. Then PHR built project Talladega , so my plans changed to the pro-touring style. The only wheels that fit the image of what I'm going for are Tenzo R Type M's or C6 Corvette ZR1 Wheels.

the thought about putting a set of the zr1 wheels on my el co, definitely dont think they would look bad at all.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:57 pm

I had 20 inch wire spoke wheels on my 73 Furd and I loved them. Trouble was they leaked around the spokes and also rusted real bad. So much for cheap wheels. I gave them to a guy just for his labor of taking them off and putting the originals back on. JB

Last edited by JB2wheeler on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spell check)
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by lars Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:24 pm

It is a pretty simple concept, I have used MS Paint for example I did this picture of a USPS Truck. I took the picture and added wheels, possible vinals/paint, engines, hoods:
Hot Rod mail Truck
How did you guys pick your rims  Mailtr10

It is my version of a USPS Mail Truck hot rodded, It took a couple hours, and I think it is awesome

Last edited by lars on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
lars
lars
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall.Pixley Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:29 pm

i didnt, the guy that had it before me did, and they look killer so i went with it
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next