G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just flipped the handle on my tailgate to the inside

+6
74chick
74Malibu383
McCauley5983
Marshall.Pixley
74MonteCarlo
BlackChevelleSS
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

just flipped the handle on my tailgate to the inside Empty just flipped the handle on my tailgate to the inside

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:21 pm

looks really sick i got to cut a little bit more metal off because when i open the handle it hits the sides. other than that it works great and was easy to flip and it all pretty much fit back to the same spot, i just have to find out how to bolt the lock mechanism to the tailgate
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

just flipped the handle on my tailgate to the inside Empty Re: just flipped the handle on my tailgate to the inside

Post by 74chick Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:26 pm

PICS!!
74chick
74chick
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

just flipped the handle on my tailgate to the inside Empty Re: just flipped the handle on my tailgate to the inside

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:03 am

PICS OR BAN!

just flipped the handle on my tailgate to the inside SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:31 am

Pics or STFU!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:41 am

Is "sick" a good or a bad thing?

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:19 am

It's a good thing. Just like "that looks stoopid!" or "Wicked".
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:10 pm

lol lemme get ahold of a camera might have em by tomorrow

i still got to smooth out where the handle used to be so lemme do that first then i get pics.

sick is like cool
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:09 pm

I know it looks better than it did before, but I think it is too much work for a small benefit. I am sure it will look good when you get finished with it. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 pm

IDK JB. Moving it to the inside would have a definite plus other than looks if you could find someone to make a hard tonneau (sp?) cover with a lock. Then you could secure cargo or other items in there without taking up interior space or worrying about something being stolen.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:38 pm

Rago wrote:IDK JB. Moving it to the inside would have a definite plus other than looks if you could find someone to make a hard tonneau (sp?) cover with a lock. Then you could secure cargo or other items in there without taking up interior space or worrying about something being stolen.

my friend has his handle flipped inside out and he has a fiberglass bed lid that came off a 90s truck i wanna say a chevy, and it has a lock on it and it all works great.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:40 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:I know it looks better than it did before, but I think it is too much work for a small benefit. I am sure it will look good when you get finished with it. JB

trust me its a lot better than having it on the outside. i dont know why they didnt make them on the inside from factory like every other el camino. and its not A LOT of work. i mean i flipped the handle on the inside in like 45 minutes and it works just need to touch up the body. but if it was your case i wouldnt mess with it unless you think about changing your paintjob.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:06 pm

You said, you "just need to touch up the body"

How are you planning on filling the void left by the handle on the outside?
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:10 pm

PopCorn

I have an idea, but interested to hear what you are doing.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Rago wrote: PopCorn

I have an idea, but interested to hear what you are doing.

whats your idea rago?

right now i am in the process of hammering the dent out and its going great, but as for the holes i was probably going to leave them until i can get ahold of a welder, or i can bondo over it temporarily.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Weld in a piece of sheetmetal over the hole, grind the welds down smooth, fill in lightly with Bondo & smooth it out. Anything else is an epic fail waiting to happen.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:53 pm

Rago wrote:Weld in a piece of sheetmetal over the hole, grind the welds down smooth, fill in lightly with Bondo & smooth it out. Anything else is an epic fail waiting to happen.

ya thats what i was thinking just cut the whole piece out and weld it from te inside and fill over it with bondo. but i want a temp. fix
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:24 pm

gimme 2 seconds and ill have some pictures up.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:43 pm

just flipped the handle on my tailgate to the inside 08181010
just flipped the handle on my tailgate to the inside 08181011
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall.Pixley Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:13 pm

epic! also noticed you run duels.... how hard was that?
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:25 pm

Dual exhaust can be ran tucked up a lot easier if you find a cross-member from an earlier 73-74 model. They typically had two humps instead of one. There are also places that sell aftermarket dual exhaust cross-members for our cars. With that said, I ran duals on a single exhaust cross-member before & it was alright. Just have to watch out for bumps because the exhaust will be hanging lower.....

I noticed your sig pic is a 74. double check to see which one you have, you might be in luck.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Marshall.Pixley wrote:epic! also noticed you run duels.... how hard was that?

haha actually that was done before i bought the car. it has big headers on it and edelbrock performer intake manifold with edelbrock 4bbl carb. and all the guy did was hammer on the crossmember until it had a second hump lol. Laughing
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:23 pm

77malibu77 wrote:
and all the guy did was hammer on the crossmember until it had a second hump lol. Laughing

Evil or Very Mad
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Rago wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:
and all the guy did was hammer on the crossmember until it had a second hump lol. Laughing

Evil or Very Mad

hey it works lol. but for the malibu im thinking about one of compucarracings'
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall.Pixley Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:20 pm

nice, i want to run duals and dont know where to even start lol
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Marshall.Pixley wrote:nice, i want to run duals and dont know where to even start lol

get a new dual exhaust system, get rid of the old exhaust and catalytic converter, either cut or hammer another hump in the crossmember. and wa-la, oh and make sure you get the right exhaust for the right headers or you can custom make it to fit, i unfortunately have the big headers.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next