G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gas tank

+2
Limey SE
lars
6 posters

Go down

gas tank Empty gas tank

Post by pila Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm about ready to order a tank for the El Camino project. The parts Place has the one I need for $199, which seems like a good price. I have a new GM sending unit for it. Good folks there. Bought my windshield there a few months back. Radiator will be next, an aluminum type. I need to lose weight with the Caddy big block up front. I have the stock starter on it right now, but a Power Master starter will save another few pounds off of the front. Want to get the exhaust system on it before start-up. Working on getting stainless parts for the exhaust (Michigan winters ya know) Beer

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

gas tank Empty Re: gas tank

Post by IndyG3 Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:10 pm

Might be a bit off topic, but where did you find a new sending unit for that???
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:55 pm

I put a link in the tech section for a company selling new sending units for 73 -77 cars

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by lars Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:57 pm

When I got a new gas tank, I did a bunch of research and I came up with the website www.rockauto.com, my tank was like $120, sending unit was like $75
lars
lars
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:04 pm

1/2" Sending Units 73-77 A-body

www.robbmcperformance.com

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/1093_gmsend.html

Application
1973-1977 GM "A-body" cars (except station wagon) including Century, Regal, Chevelle, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Grand Am, Grand Prix, and Lemans.

Features

* Drop-in replacement for factory 5/16" or 3/8" sending units
* Budget alternative to a fuel cell or weld-on sump
* Recommended for cars with engines over 450 hp
* Recommended for all cars with an electric fuel pump and return/bypass style regulator
* 1/2" pickup and feed tubes reduce flow restriction to suction side of fuel pump
* 1/2" return tube allows use of a return/bypass regulator without modifying the fuel tank or switching to a fuel cell
* Return tube can be capped off if no return line is used
* Use with a reducer to connect 1/4" vapor return line from a mechanical pump
* Accepts factory 5/16" vent/EEC hose
* Billet aluminum base and aluminum tubes are anodized for use with gasoline or alcohol
* Stainless fuel level sending unit works with OEM fuel level gauges (0-90 ohm)
* Eliminates restrictive, difficult to service intank "sock" filter. Use with RobbMc inline prefilter
* MADE IN THE USA

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Pila, personally I much perfer a 3 or 4 row cooper radiator to an aluminum radiator. Why? Because of price and a POSSIBLE reliability issue. I know, there are good aluminum radiators out there, but the way I look at it is why take a chance. Like I said, personal opinion. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Limey wrote: (except station wagon)

That's where I stopped reading. Laughing
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:51 am

The El Camino tank is different than the sedans of course, with the filler pipe coming out the side and not the rear. Not aware of the wagon set-up. I bought the sending unit from the El Camino Store some time ago, and it was the last one they had for a '77 at that time, which was before they sold out to the outfit that owns it now. It's a 3-tube type sender. My '75 Elco had only a 2-line set up, and I added another new line (return) during the body-off part of the project. The Caddy fuel pump is a 3-line type.
My issue with the aluminum radiator is the nose-heavy aspect of an El Camino in winter weather. Never had a problem in winter with the three other ones, but they were small blocks
I plan on using a Sanden AC compressor, since as many of you folks know, an A-6 is a heavy monster.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mal76ibu Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:24 am

I know el caminos are diff then the malibu, but I put a 95 Impala tank in, Had to plug an extra hole. But its plastci not metal. I believe the wagon say age is a side fill like the el camino. Just food for thought
mal76ibu
mal76ibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:14 pm

The station wagon gas tank is the same, if not similar to an El Camino gas tank. It is tucked up in the driver side rear fender.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:22 pm

I haven't seen a tank listed for a wagon, and maybe a wagon resto could use an Elco tank, with a bit of work. Old wagons seem to be getting more popular in these times.
I had to use Chevelle tank straps, which I had to add some length to. I didn't locate any Elco straps when I was buying parts a few years back.

BILL

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:13 am

So far, it seems like my best bet is to either: A. replace all of the wiring and check the armature on the sending unit that is already in place, or B. buy a new sending unit, and put the little lever from the old sending unit on the new one and see if that works.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:28 pm

The GM sender is a o to 90 ohm set-up, so whatever other GM sender that fits the tank opening should work, with an arm to match tank depth, and with the arm swing in the direction of the original.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down