G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallys 74 project

+21
Limey SE
dynchel
ecuto74
knightfan26917
77mali
ant7377
pila
michiganlarry
driveit
thatfnthing
toms74laguna
dragons_lair59
WyldeBill66
G3NUT
Joe73
Landonus
1973 454 MONTE
Hawk03
Brainstain
1973montec
BicknellWelding
25 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Wallys 74 project - Page 5 Empty Re: Wallys 74 project

Post by Wallyuph Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:03 am

I'm waiting to see what the seats cost me. Then I have a better idea on price.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:20 pm

This car is up for sale see post here.
1974 Laguna custom for sale $8000 or best offer

https://www.g3gm.com/t9489-1974-laguna-custom-for-sale-8000-or-best-offer?highlight=74+laguna+for+sale
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Crawf388 Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:44 am

Hey, Wallyuph, I am in the process of redoing my 75 laguna. Just last week i ordered a low mile 2003 LQ9 from a wrecking yard. I have read several of your posts, Michiganlarry's posts and alowerlevel's posts. Thank to all you guys, I have a pretty good idea about the preferred parts required to get the job done and i am more than confident i can get it in and running. However, my biggest concern is hood clearance. You mentioned you had problems with your 74 laguna 5.3l but had the cowl so you were okay. Alowerlevel looked like he swapped the 1999-2000 4.8l into his without a hitch using pretty much the same mounts etc. Whats the difference? Im going to use D-Dingo mounts as well but am getting nervous i'm in for an intake swap before the motor is even delivered. Any wisdom is great appreciated.
Crawf388
Crawf388
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:07 am

Check out Holley's 74 Chevelle station wagon, they swapped a LQ9 truck motor into it, under the stock hood. They used dual 390cfm carbs and a low rise intake. Pretty cool idea instead of the plastic intake. Just food for thought.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:59 am

Crawf388 wrote:Hey, Wallyuph,  I am in the process of redoing my 75 laguna.  Just last week i ordered a low mile 2003 LQ9 from a wrecking yard.  I have read several of your posts, Michiganlarry's posts and alowerlevel's posts.  Thank to all you guys, I have a pretty good idea about the preferred parts required to get the job done and i am more than confident i can get it in and running.  However, my biggest concern is hood clearance.  You mentioned you had problems with your 74 laguna 5.3l but had the cowl so you were okay.   Alowerlevel looked like he swapped the 1999-2000 4.8l into his without a hitch using pretty much the same mounts etc.  Whats the difference?  Im going to use D-Dingo mounts as well but am getting nervous i'm in for an intake swap before the motor is even delivered.  Any wisdom is great appreciated.    

It did clear the hood but we had to take off some vacum port hose thing yiou dont need iit anyway. So dirty dingo monuts work and it cleared for me. The engine sits forward a bit as it was close for the power steering pump but it all worked out with stock truck set up.
Wallys 74 project - Page 5 <a href=Wallys 74 project - Page 5 Img_6611" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Crawf388 Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:09 am

Awesome, that is what i wanted to hear! Thanks. My goal is to get it in and running so i can get the paint finished this year.  Then next year start playing with cams, tunes, etc.

I ordered DD-3500C mounts tonight, now looking for a fuel tank from impala or caprice or buick early 90's.  F body manifolds and electric fan set up.  Not having much luck.  Anyone have this stuff one or a lead on one?

For your harness, were you happy with LSX-harness.com?  Looks like it worked out alright but i've never been lucky and seem to get what i pay for in most cases.
Crawf388
Crawf388
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:01 am

Crawf388 wrote:Awesome, that is what i wanted to hear! Thanks. My goal is to get it in and running so i can get the paint finished this year.  Then next year start playing with cams, tunes, etc.

I ordered DD-3500C mounts tonight, now looking for a fuel tank from impala or caprice or buick early 90's.  F body manifolds and electric fan set up.  Not having much luck.  Anyone have this stuff one or a lead on one?

For your harness, were you happy with LSX-harness.com?  Looks like it worked out alright but i've never been lucky and seem to get what i pay for in most cases.

I have a brand new set of manifolds that came on my LS3 creat engine if yiu are interested. I did not test fit them as I went with the hooker headers from my first LS I put in my 73. That way I had my exhaust all done. I think they should fit.
[img]Wallys 74 project - Page 5 Ls3_1_10[/img]

[img]Wallys 74 project - Page 5 Ls3_1_11[/img]

I also have a set off ebay that said F body but they hit on frame sitting here as they had a triangle flange on them. Thats the problem with ebay stuff some times.

They did a good job for harness at LSX we did have a no start issue and went through the list he gives you (before you call me.HA) but still no start. We called on a sunday and he answered and walked us through testing every connection. Found he had two wire swaped around so no fuel pump on while cranking. If you set up came from a truck make sure you let them know as cars harness is different for ECM and connections for injectors and more.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Crawf388 Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks for the offer Wally,  those are tempting...

I also ran across these for 05-13 corvettes in my searches.  If the flange is that high above the frame the only issue would be tucking the much more bendable singe exhaust tube inside the rail and back.  

Wallys 74 project - Page 5 <a href=Wallys 74 project - Page 5 Corvette%20manifold%2005-13_zpsyfe7nade" />
Crawf388
Crawf388
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:40 am

Wallyuph wrote:It did clear the hood but we had to take off some vacum port hose thing yiou dont need iit anyway. So dirty dingo monuts work and it cleared for me. The engine sits forward a bit as it was close for the power steering pump but it all worked out with stock truck set up.
Wallys 74 project - Page 5 <a href=Wallys 74 project - Page 5 Img_6611" />

Wow, never noticed before, but your motor sat way, way, way farther forward than mine does.
Wallys 74 project - Page 5 20140610
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:41 am

Mine had to to fit stock AC compressor on lower pass side. I used the slider brackets
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:04 pm

Update on Exhaust manifolds. I do not have them any more. I have a set off 5.3 truck and a set off ebay that said they were F body but with my set up so far forward they only cleared on drivers side. I then realized I sold them with the 6.0 I first had installed in my 73 malibu.
Here is the engine set up I sold 6.0 truck block with fast intake.

Wallys 74 project - Page 5 <a href=Wallys 74 project - Page 5 Img_3410" />

I do still have a rebuilt 4L60E trans with 200 miles on it. Needs a torque converter is what Dino guy told me. Its shifts all gears and has reverse. Just some time its like no converter is in gauged.

Wallys 74 project - Page 5 <a href=Wallys 74 project - Page 5 Img_5210" />

Wallys 74 project - Page 5 <a href=Wallys 74 project - Page 5 Img_5211" />
Wallys 74 project - Page 5 <a href=Wallys 74 project - Page 5 Img_3413" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Crawf388 Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:38 am

Hey Wally or alowerleve, have a favor to ask. One of you guys mind taking a measurement from the inside of the frame rail level across to the block on the passenger side. Pretty much right where clearance issues is with that manifold?

I am considering picking up some cheap block hugger headers for now. It will be a month or so before I get it set in the bay and I will be too damn excited to wait for something to be shipped in. Thanks.
Crawf388
Crawf388
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:14 am

I don't have the Laguna any more I sold it. Sorry
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member