G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

+21
Joe73
Dinomyte
thatfnthing
jerry46765
switchbiker
Wallyuph
JB2wheeler
pila
Limey SE
Oldschool454
LS_Quest
Tom77
1973 454 MONTE
1973montec
chevellelaguna
Pontichev327
ant7377
lownslow75
LSANTI76
BK-75
Brainstain
25 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

Post by 1973montec Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:00 pm

theres a maaco in akron ohio that has a section just for old cars.if i remember right,the 70 GS that chris had was painted there.

theres one in parma on brookpark Dynchel
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

Post by dynchel Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:07 pm

I didn't know that. There was one in Willoughby (my '74 was painted there in '85) and there was one right around the corner from me in mentor. Both are no longer maaco's but are still body shops.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:33 pm

My friend actually did all the prep and just had them spray (maaco) looked good for a long time. It was on a 240z
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:07 am

If I can do all of the body work myself and purchase the paint. I think that the body shop at the college can paint it for me for free. It may not be perfect. But it has to be better than what I have got now.

How much primer, reducer and paint do you guys think I would need for a design like that red and black one I posted?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:19 am

I would get a gallon of primer, good 2k stuff.  Your best bet would be to get the red/black in gallons also.  (In case of problems, and for touch up, etc.)  You didn't mention sealer, but the primed surface should be sealed prior to paint.  Also are you planning single stage or double stage?  Double stage looks better, but you have to buy clear.  If you haven't priced it paint supplies are big $$$.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:48 am

Yeah I know.  I was figuring for about 1200 where I last priced it, but that was with a single color paint and clear.

I am thinking of going with just a flat black for now. Maybe like that hotrod black that is kinda more like a satin finish. Then later on when I get the money doing the redish orange stripe down the side.

Last edited by driveit on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:09 am

driveit wrote:Yeah I know.  I was figuring for about 1200 where I last priced it, but that was with a single color paint and clear.
Wow my paint alone in the two cans one base coat and one mid coat a gallon cost me $1061.11. No clear let alone applying it I did that my self. Sounds like a good price to me.

Last edited by Wallyuph on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 am

Each gallon was $1000.00? Wow, I'm seriously rethinking rattle-canning it now. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:36 am

Sorry it was 530.55 each a gallon my bad typing skills. It was 1061.11 total for both gallons. Just saying paint is not cheap. when its a tri-coat its even more
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:40 am

Whew! That's more like what I thought it would be, but that sentence could have been read either way, so I thought I'd better check. Planning on having mine repainted in the spring.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:47 am

Paint jobs in this neck of the woods are not cheap. That's why I do mine myself.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:49 am

The price I had was just for a just the materials and for one color, not both.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:31 am

I'm going to learn how to paint with an HVLP set up for that kind of $$$$. Ouch.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:38 am

77mali wrote:I'm going to learn how to paint with an HVLP set up for that kind of $$$$.  Ouch.
I've often thought of that myself, and it would be a great set of skills to have.  But by the time I factor in the cost of all the equipment, the huge amount of prep work involved, the amount of practice necessary (and the attendant wasted materials), and the fact that I only have one vehicle to paint, it always comes down to being a better deal to have someone else do it for a few grand.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:47 am

Harbor freight has good deals on the paint equipment, I have a compressor.  The paint is not going to be huge for me as I plan to use the POR15 over the car.  SEM makes good topcoats & clearcoats for not too much money.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:51 am

I hope that I can get the college to paint mine. Will be free aside from paint. I may not even have to buy the thinner. The primer is a primer sealer both I believe.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 pm

If you are painting over the old paint, you will definitely want a primer sealer -- this will keep the old paint from affecting the new paint.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:59 pm

Summit racing sells gallons of paint for cheap.  The selection is limited though.    there is also the duplicolor "paint shop" series of paint, that is lacquer, but very affordable.  Just some options.Cool
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:06 pm

MAACO will paint your whole car with urthane paint for about $450. They have sales all the time and drop the price quite a bit. Like I said before, the finished product will have runs and orange peel and dust in it. One week they will give you one price and the next week it will be another price. They are franchises, so quality varies from one shop to another. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:16 pm

I knew someone who worked at maaco, let's just say what heard about the quality (or lack thereof) would prevent me from ever having any car that I care even a little about painted there.  I don't know the results of bringing a prepped  car would be.  He said maaco allotted 1/2 hour for scuffing the surface, and 1/2 hour for masking, and it is getting painted.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:16 pm

I added a signature with my vision!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:17 am

Years ago had a dodge truck painted at Maaco. They did an ok job only thing was on the tailgate it looked like they took off the stickers and painted over the glue. I pointed that out and they repainted the gate and it was good. When I took the truck it was just sun faded from AZ no rust or damage. Think I paid around 600.00 for it. It was in 2005 or so.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:21 am

JB2wheeler wrote:MAACO will paint your whole car with urthane paint for about $450. They have sales all the time and drop the price quite a bit. Like I said before, the finished product will have runs and orange peel and dust in it. One week they will give you one price and the next week it will be another price. They are franchises, so quality varies from one shop to another. JB
I'm pretty sure for $450.00, you would be getting enamel. When I inquired about urethane, I was told $1500.00. (This was in 2001 or so)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next