G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

crooked steering column

+8
dynchel
zodiacblue442
77mali
ant7377
Fishgrinder
thatfnthing
Biomedtech
Mcarlo77
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

crooked steering column  - Page 2 Empty Re: crooked steering column

Post by Wallyuph Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:26 pm

magic marouke wrote:
DiscoMalibu wrote:The column in my '77 Malibu was the exact same way, a bit off to the left. It was very noticeable. It drove me nuts so I removed the little aluminum inserts and got it over to almost exactly center. Strange.
Which inserts are you talking about ?
Seeing as I don't have a dash in my 74 I shot these for you to see. I think he is talking about the ones that go on each side of the column to the dash area. See photos. Yes mine is off set with out a dash in it. There is movement to this area as the column was laying on the seat when I bought that car and I could move it all over . When I stalled the lower fire wall bracket it stopped a lot of movement. you may have to loosen up both the top and the lower firewall bracket to move it over and tighten it up some. I did this in my 73.

crooked steering column  - Page 2 <a href=crooked steering column  - Page 2 Img_6910" />

crooked steering column  - Page 2 <a href=crooked steering column  - Page 2 Img_6911" />

crooked steering column  - Page 2 <a href=crooked steering column  - Page 2 Img_6912" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 pm

[quote="Wallyuph"]
magic marouke wrote:
DiscoMalibu wrote:The column in my '77 Malibu was the exact same way, a bit off to the left. It was very noticeable. It drove me nuts so I removed the little aluminum inserts and got it over to almost exactly center. Strange.
Which inserts are you talking about ?
Seeing as I don't have a dash in my 74 I shot these for you to see. I think he is talking about the ones that go on each side of the column to the dash area. See photos. Yes mine is off set with out a dash in it. There is movement to this area as the column was laying on the seat when I bought that car and I could move it all over . When I stalled the lower fire wall bracket it stopped a lot of movement. you may have to loosen up both the top and the lower firewall bracket to move it over and tighten it up some. I did this in my 73.

Hey thanks a lot for the pics . I'm gonna try and crawl under there this weekend and take a look . Will be good to hopefully get that straight
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 am

They're those aluminum pieces that slide into the column mounting bracket. I took 'em out, shimmed the column level with washers and tightened it down. I was able to move it over to the right enough to make nearly centered. Very Happy
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks for the pics. I have to drop mine again some time to fix the gear indicator messed up when working on my started switch and that stupid seatbelt interlock.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:56 am

I tried prying those pieces off but seem stuck on there . Is there a trick to getting them off or am I just not prying hard enough ?
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:54 pm

crooked steering column  - Page 2 A88DF5AC-3CB9-414E-87F5-C952EEDD02B9_zpsvdthts3m

Took the bracket off that holds the column up and filed away this much where each bolts go . Managed to slide it over quite a but. Not 100% straight but lots better .
I'm still wondering what the hell was going on that a lot of them are like this .
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2