G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas Gauge

4 posters

Go down

Gas Gauge Empty Gas Gauge

Post by Damon23 Wed May 18, 2016 6:29 pm

The hits keep coming with this car but I think I contributed to this myself. I've noticed that now my gas gauge pegs to full. Which from all the reading I've done means open circuit. I just put in new carpet and it crossed my mind that maybe I cut the wire. But I just thought about it. I never plugged that bug harness back in that is under the passenger side seat. Does the fuel gauge and other things run into that harness? I'm just brainstorming here until I can get the car out this weekend and work on it. Just naggy things to work on for right now before powertour.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Gas Gauge Empty Re: Gas Gauge

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed May 18, 2016 7:59 pm

I believe the fuel sending wire follows the brake light wires through that harness. Then it splits off in the trunk near the filler neck going through a rubber grommet. Then down to the fuel tank. So the harness being disconnected should be your culprit.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Wed May 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. I got anxious after doing some reading and grounded that tan wire. When I did it went to empty so that means it is connected and more than likely the sending unit is bad. I'll get it out and plug all that up though. Looking at it, there sure is a lot of wires and a heavy duty harness for just a seat belt buzzer LOL.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed May 18, 2016 8:27 pm

No doubt, I'd be lost without a factory wiring diagram to reference!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Wed May 18, 2016 8:31 pm

I've been searching but to no avail. I'm done with it for now. I'll hook up that harness and just take it to cruise in's for the rest of the year. I wanted to take it on powertour but that is not a option. I don't have confidence in the car. I cannot keep throwing money at it cause it will eat into my funds for the trip.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed May 18, 2016 11:56 pm

One of the common problems with fuel gauges is the ground wire near the tank, which is usually attached to the body or frame back there, See if you can locate it & check for rust around it and the screw that grounds it. Cleaning that spot & using a new screw ( I use stainless ) for the wire lug, usually does it if it's a grounding problem. It's usually a black wire, but may be different on some cars....

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Thu May 19, 2016 6:19 pm

I found that wire and cleaned it up really good. The ground is good. I took the plug apart from the tank up to the trunk and measured 39 ohms going to the gauge, so that is going to be the resistor. I read 0 going to the sender. I should be between 90 and 0 and I know for a fact the tank is half full. I put gas in it a week ago while I was playing with the tune and watched it. I know its coincidence but it seems like this problem happened as soon as I replaced the worn out ground straps. Oh well, Looks like a new sender is going to be around $65 and it won't be near a pain in the arse as the pump I had to put in my excursion.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Fri May 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Ground the wire going to the gauge. I think it will peg it to empty, maybe full, can't remember for sure. It will be one or the other. This will tell you the wiring from that point forward to the gauge is good. If you get no movement on the gauge when you ground it your problem is in the wiring & not the sending unit.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Sat May 21, 2016 8:20 am

Yep, did that and it sweeps to empty. Has to be the sender. Oh well, since it won't be going on powertour this year their is no more pressure to fix everything.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sat May 21, 2016 11:09 am

It's not to terrible of a job. it'll give you a chance to inspect inside of the tank and get a new pick-up sock in the process. preventing any future problems..
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down