G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any help with this?

2 posters

Go down

Any help with this? Empty Any help with this?

Post by black eyes Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:36 pm

Just wanting to know if anybody has of or knows of a rack&pinion for are 73 chevelle or malibus? was wanting to switch it over car is in the shop getting work done and get more after that so i was looking into this any help would be great.( Going to be a pro street car just in case you were wanting to know) GoFast

black eyes
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Any help with this? Empty Re: Any help with this?

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:55 am

I assume you are looking for a bolt in kit for this? That I don't think is made yet for these cars. If you want to do it yourself, you can buy a universal rack and fabricate a setup. My 70 has a manual rack and pinion setup in it with a stock column and spindles.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by black eyes Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:47 pm

yes that is what i would like to do and shave some weight.i will be doing a rack but i would like to get a power one if i can do it just need to get mesuerements and see what out there? what brand did you go with and hows it working for you?

black eyes
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:54 am

I would have to check on the brand, I did mine about 8 years ago. Its a universal manual pinto style rack with the anti bump steer tie rod kit. The car has the upward travel semi limited to prevent bump steer, because it can happen when the tie rods and control arms move in different arcs. My car normally wheelstands about 12-18" limited by the wheelie bars. Its not the best for parking but the rack is unnoticeable when driving. I still have the stock column with the extension shafts and universal joint to connect to the rack. The front end is stock control arms and stock style shocks. So far the car drives effortlessly at almost 150 mph in a car weighing almost 3200 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgWjLNiJ62s
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum