G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looking for some A/C help.

4 posters

Go down

looking for some A/C help. Empty looking for some A/C help.

Post by bitterfitter Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:50 am

I am getting some of the final items wrapped up on my '74, one of which is finishing the A/C. Here is what I have: I had changed to an evaporator out of a 1989-92 Camaro. I had a new one laying around and it was the exact same size. The compressor came with my GM serpentine setup. For the A/C lines, I pulled a few from a 1993 S-10 that had a 4.3 . They fit in real nice. The accumulator is brand new and the same style as used by most of these GM vehicles. Identical to the one I pulled from the 93 S-10 for moch up. For the condenser I pulled one from a 1995? S-10. Again it fits perfectly and lines up with the A/C lines nicely.
So I thought I have almost a complete S-10 setup in my car and this should be an easy hook up. Here is the problem: Seems that the threaded fittings must have changed at some point. The connection from the liquid line to the bottom of the evaporator has different threads and the same with the connection from the compressor to the condenser. They look almost the same size but I think that one may be metric and one SAE ? Any ideas when GM changed these lines or how to figure out an easy way to adapt them to each other?
I was thinking of trying to get the ends cut off and remade into the correct female connector, but not sure if this is possible or who might do this?? HELP...

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

looking for some A/C help. Empty Re: looking for some A/C help.

Post by impalamonte Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:10 am

I too just converted as well.

May want to try OLDAIRPRODUCTS.COM

I received a ton of support help from both available techs.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:17 am

I would pull the condenser out and take the hoses with to a Hydraulic shop that makes HYD hoses on site. They usually have large assortments of fittings they probably have an adaptor there, or can identify what type of fittings you need and can order next day for free. Ritter Technology /Parker store is where I go in my area of Wisconsin.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:38 am

This is kind of what I was hoping. A visit to the hydraulic hose makers in the area. There are a couple that are pretty close to me. I gotta tell you; an adapter bushing would be the best, but I kinda doubt that would happen as these are almost the same size. No room for a bushing so I probably would have to get like an adapter coupling. If they make such a thing....

If this doesn't work out, I may get the matching hoses and condenser from the 93 S-10 that should fit up to all the fittings.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:34 pm

You might need to find a hose set or the fittings from a camaro and the s-10 set you have and find a shop to marry the two. That is good to know that those later model parts fit. I tried to get my line set from my 73 overhauled last year, I wanted the rubber hose replaced. Couldn't find any shops to do it. I went to the main Parker store here in Akron. Big sign in the front that says "We can make any hose". any hose except a A/C set for a 73. I ended up cleaning up my old set and re-using. They don't leak, just looks like hell and 40+ yrs old. I've seen several old cars at shows with newer parker hose so it can be done. parker line sets are also avail for the older generations.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:13 pm

So if anyone is looking to do an A/C setup for their car, here is what I ended up doing. So far it seems to have worked great.

I used an evaporator from an 82-92 Camaro. Actually from a 1986 TPI Camaro. This has a #8 inlet and a #12 outlet. This also has the orfice tube in the inlet end. It fits in the dash like the original with no mods. On the outlet I screwed a brand new GM accumulator from the same year Camaro. These fit many GM vehicles. This had a #12 inlet and outlet. Seeing as I am using a GM serpentine belt setup, I used a R4 type compressor that I pulled from a 1994 S-10 with a 4.3V6. I grabbed the A/C hoses that connect to the back of the compressor also. The suction hose has a #12 end on it which connected right to the accumulator and the discharge hose has a #8 end on it. I ended up using a condenser from a 1989 Caprice wagon. It fits nicely and has a #8 inlet and a #6 outlet. I had to shorten the discharge hose by cutting off the original fitting right at the hose and installing a new straight #8 fitting. This then connects to the condenser inlet right next to the radiator cap. Last piece was a new liquid line. I could not find a suitable OEM one, so I bought 19" of #6 hose, a straight #6 fitting and a #8 X #6 hose X high side service port fitting. This allowed the #6 to connect to the condenser output and the other end to connect to the #8 evaporator input where the orfice tube is. I also have the high side service port now in this line.
Make sure your compressor has the right amount of oil and charge away. I used a little over 2 cans of R-134a after I pulled a vacuum and now I have a nice cold blowing system. Kind of a pieced together system but the parts cost very little because I used good used parts where I could and bought new where I thought I should. Liquid line ended up costing me $36 dollars as I bought the fittings for $26 and paid $10 to have them crimped locally. I hope this helps someone as I had a hell of a time finding parts that matched threads and fit correctly. I will try to get a couple pics up soon. Very Happy

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum