G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a couple of questions about seat covers

3 posters

Go down

a couple of questions about seat covers Empty a couple of questions about seat covers

Post by marx3 Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:55 pm

The interior in my 75 Monte is black cloth full bench. It is in really nice condition, both front and rear seats.
I would really like to have swiwels in the car and this guy is offering to trade his swiwels for my bench. His seats needs to be re-upholstered. I had planned to put new foam and covers on these seats so I started looking around.
Did the seats in my 78 Trans Am and it was easy ( for me anyways ) and they turned out really nice.

First question: I see that most places offer covers for 73-77 but also covers for 75-77... whats the difference?

Second question: I see that a set of front foam and front/rear vinyl covers are going to set me back about 900-1000$ at Opgi. Holy smokes... I hate to sound cheap, right.. :-)
The stuff I did my Trans Am seat with, where from PUI and I found them to be of decent quality.
Can I find these things somewhere else than Opgi?
marx3
marx3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

a couple of questions about seat covers Empty Re: a couple of questions about seat covers

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:14 pm

As far as fit, there isn't any difference in the years of covers for '73-'77. A swivel bucket is a swivel bucket. Comes down to preferred style/design.

One thing you might get lucky with to help with the costs is that the swivel bucket foam can be reused. Sure, it's probably preferred to install new foam, but just sayin'. As far as I know, PUI is the only company making the foam.

One thing you should ask your friend is whether the seat belts come with the swivels. And vice versa...he'll be wanting your outer retractors.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

a couple of questions about seat covers Empty Re: a couple of questions about seat covers

Post by marx3 Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Okay thanks. I wonder why they list two different version then... odd.
I might look into doing the foam my self. I have only seen these swiwels in pictures and form what I can tell, the drivers seat is pretty deformed.
Gothca on the seat belts. Offcourse! We are swapping everything, so the seat belts will go along with the seats. I am also getting the center console and shifter.
marx3
marx3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:14 pm

chris has had many of swivel seats. from what ive seen of his collection,cloth and vinyls differ from year to years. in the mid 90s,chris had 10 sets of seats,they were all from 73-77 montes,but he had a few Malibu sets. different style of buttons and no buttons,seems were also different.

I wish he or I would of taken a pic of them all...
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by marx3 Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:13 pm

i wish so too... now that you told me :-)
anyways, I guess PUI or Legendary or whatever the two manufacturers are called, only makes a couple of different types
marx3
marx3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Point is...with replacements, you can go with any style you like. They all interchange as far as fit. When these companies are specifying years, they are referring to what was generally correct for those specific years. As for my '75 Laguna, I will be hopefully installing '73 style (more ribs stitched into the seat backs & cushions) all vinyl covers as I got a fantastic deal on a set some years ago from a guy who had bought them and then sold his Cutlass before he could recover his seats and just wanted to unload them.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down