G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polishing Stainless

4 posters

Go down

Polishing Stainless Empty Polishing Stainless

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:02 pm

Has anybody out there had any successful experience polishing stainless trim moldings? Specifically, I'm talking about the cloudy, dull haze you find on most of it. I've tried 0000 steel wool, my Dremel w/felt polishing pad using some polishing compound and just recently, a wool pad for my drill using the small block of resin that came with it. None of them cut thru that haze. Guess the next step up is to use the 6" bench-top grinder I have where I could mount polishing wheels...but, I'm just not familiar with the techniques, types of wheels to be used and proper polishing compounds.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Polishing Stainless Empty Re: Polishing Stainless

Post by fasrnur Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:18 pm

Have you ever tried Wizards "Metal Polish?" It comes in a can that looks like an old metal bandage box. I've used it on loads of different metals and have never been disappointed. You would not be able to use it on any power tool though. It comes in a long cotton like strip of metarial.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:56 pm

I did a set on the 65 Catalina I had. It was a process. 800 grit, 1000 then 2000 and buffed with a meguires foam cone and some flitz polish. Came out nice but was time consuming and messy.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:05 pm

Gen 3 trim is anodized aluminum which is why we owners have trouble with the shine. Showed them to my friend who polishes trim on the side and told me about problem. I read on line to remove anodize, use draino or liquid plumber and soak pieces. Once remove anodize then can polish. Problem after is get re-anodized or keep polishing once in a while. Im going to try process on spare trim and maybe a clear coat after instead of anodize.
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:37 pm

Well...I did discover for myself the time and mess that comes with stripping off the anodized finish in order to remove the road rash before polishing. Out of sheer curiosity, I tried refinishing the two lower fender moldings (behind the front wheels) that I had laying around. Lots of hand sanding and subsequent polishing. Got all but the deepest pits out and they shined up like new. So now, I have a set of these that I have no use for. If anyone is interested in buying them and saving themselves a lot of work, let me know.

Polishing Stainless 7377el10

I also have a nice driver side lower door molding I pulled off a '75 Malibu from AZ if anyone is interested. Best one I've seen on any cars I've come across...with no significant dents or deep scratches. Right now, I have no desire to commit to the time required to restore it like I did the front moldings. Maybe if I were going to install it on my own car.

Polishing Stainless 7377el11

Let me know if interested.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:33 pm

Wow! Better than new! Nicely done! You found a new side job.
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down