G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S-3 Designation

+3
76LagunaS3
Mcarlo77
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
7 posters

Go down

S-3 Designation Empty S-3 Designation

Post by Mitchell Murphy Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:32 pm

To all Colonade Chevelle G-3 guys- Does anyone really know for sure what the Laguna S-3 stood for ? We know "Laguna" was for the Laguna Beach like the Malibu Beach in California and the Laguna Seca Raceway in California also. But what about the "S-3" -here is my guess, either the S-3 was for "Super Sport Successor" 3-S's or S-3 or "Sport" (S) for the (3)"3rd" generation Chevelle. Everyone has asked me over the years as I'm sure you owners that have one have been asked that also, more times than one. I have always felt that GM had the cars right but the names wrong, I felt the Laguna car in 73 should have been the Super Sport, and the S-3 cars should have been the continuation of the Super Sport heritage. Also, I just learned that you could order the Laguna Front in 1975 for an el Camino- (RPO 6H1) The smaller lower left SS emblem was used in place of the "Laguna Type S-3" emblem. I have a copy of a build sheet in color to prove this marked COPO on it also. Anyone know if the (6H-1) option was offered in 1976? I would love to hear your comments-Thanks to all who love and appreciate these cars (73 Chevelle SS) and the (74,75,76 Laguna Type S-3) as much as I do- Thank you to all who keep these forgotten Revered Chevelles on the Road... P.S get a copy of the hardback book "Chevelle 50 years" by Mike Mueller on e-bay or Amazon- Mitchell Murphy

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

S-3 Designation Empty Re: S-3 Designation

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Super Sport Special
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:11 pm

This explanation given by the author is what I always had heard it stands for. I do question his expertise right off the bat when he implies (at least the way I interpret it) the Chevelle name carried into 1977.

http://www.articlecity.com/articles/auto_and_trucks/article_2417.shtml
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 76LagunaS3 Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 pm

I clicked on and read that article on the history of the Chevelle. I found it interesting and informative although i already knew a lot of what he wrote. I bought a Laguna S3 new in 76 and never gave much though to the S3 moniker,, I just thought it was something that they just came up with but his explanation makes sense. Good to know. Cool

76LagunaS3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:07 pm

Agreed. I was told same long ago. "Super Sport Special" edition. Guess gm figured cioudnt say "S to third power" or "S cube" so "S-3" easier to say. I think spelled out sounds cool. "Super Sport Special" would have looked neat as an emblem with large "SS" and just below one S a small cursive "Speical" or block design.
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:59 am

I don't remember where I heard it because it was too long ago. But I was always under the impression that it stood for "Sport 3rd generation."
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:31 am

Wish an old gm marketer was around to clarify. Honestly i didnt start hearing about 1st gen etc till the late 90s when the corvette started using it and then the rest of the car lines followed suit. Was always based by years. 64-67, 68-72, 73-77, 78-on. Either definition sounds cool.
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Laguna Seca Super Sport
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitchell Murphy Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:29 am

Thank you all for your input, but I agree with Bill. Based on Laguna Beach and the Laguna Seca raceway in California and it does carry on the "Super Sport" legacy -thus the Seca Super sport (3 s's or S-3)-We are all priviledged to own a rare piece of GM history and truly the end of the Chevelle Super Sport Legacy-Mitch

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum