G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feels good to be back

+6
pila
bitterfitter
Joe73
Limey SE
fasrnur
clanceman427
10 posters

Go down

Feels good to be back Empty Feels good to be back

Post by bitterfitter Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:56 am

I have to say that after being off this site for about 6 months now, it feels good to be able to site down and see what everyone is up to again.  Last time I was on here was about July when I posted about liquidating many parts I have left from my build.
 About a year ago my father started having problems and I had to step in to help him and my mother out.  He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and we were told then it would be a slow decline ....  Dad held on pretty well for the first 6 months but seemed to step down pretty quickly as time pasted.  He was living at home with my mother, who has never had a drivers license, and they were doing the best they could.
 You can only imagine the calls I started getting from my mom saying dad has wondered off and she didn't know where to find him.  This happened a couple times and even once he walked off at night.  Luckily, I live a few miles away and was able to track him down in an hour or so.
 Right around Thanksgiving, dad's condition got real bad and he could not stay at home.  I had been working with an attorney to work out their finances and with a nursing home close to us to get him in. This took about a year but I was able to get everything squared away just in time.  Dad ended up staying at a local hospital for 4 days until he could be transferred to an open room at nursing home.
 Now dad is at the home and I have to watch mom daily as she is not young either, get her out to do errands, and go see dad as much as I can.  Doesn't sound it but I feel a little better and have a few more moments of time.  I am glad to be back on here and ready to get out to finish my car.  Can't wait until spring to get it out again!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I apologize to all the folks who were waiting for me to get back to them on the parts I had for sale. I just wasn't able to keep up with everything that happened.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Feels good to be back Empty Re: Feels good to be back

Post by clanceman427 Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Very admirable how you are taking care of your folks, I can only imagine how hard that is. You are a very good son.

Glad that you can come back and that you feel like you can start back up on the car project.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:10 pm

I tip my hat to you sir for what you have done and what you have to do in the future.
I lost my dad over ten years ago and my mom is living by herself. She lives about 7 hours from me and 3 from my little sister. My other two siblings live about 10 hours away, so it's tough on all of us to help her out when we can, or when she needs it.  We've been doing our best to get her to move out of her house, but she will have nothing to do with it. As we age, it's our duty to take care of them, as they did for us as kids.

Glad to hear you've gotten things settled enough to allow you to get back to your project. Spring isn't that far away, but too long at the same time.

Good luck with everything sir.
Jeff.....
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:58 pm

Welcome Back Bitter, Your doing he right thing my friend Keep up the good fight with / for them. My Father passed 6 years ago Now and My mom has shut myself and her Grandkids out... guess Its painful but Family is Family ....My self I could care less About but Not calling showing up for Grandkids Birthday & Christmas year after year hurts them.

Car will always Be there for You.

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:07 pm

Your doing the right thing. Glad its starting to work out. Happy Holidays !!
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Thanks for all the kind words. Back in his day, my dad was in a car club and had some nice cars. He had a 62 impala conv and brought me home from the hospital in a Plymouth fury with a big block. Then life hit like mine has lately.
My mother is now learning that you better enjoy today as tomorrow may be too late. I hope you guys take the time to enjoy today.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Ditto on taking the time to enjoy. You are not alone with your situation. My Dad is starting to get dementia. I'll be doing the same here in a few years. Fortunately they live about 30 miles away. Good luck with your Dad.

I was wondering how your car turned out..
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:31 pm

73SS- good luck with your Dad.
As far as the car--- it is done except for:
Changing the front springs from the ones I cut to a set of 2" drop springs to match the rear,
I installed the new white seats I recovered and didn't like them so I recovered another rear seat in black to match a set of black leather buckets from a late model car. I just need to mount these buckets,
I spent quite a few nights this summer tuning the carb and distributor but I decide this week to go with fuel injection so I have to install this kit during the winter.

That's it. For now.....

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:32 am

I fully understand the problems with parents having issues requiring nursing homes etc.  Mine are both gone now, but I'm 85 myself, and hope I'm around for a while yet Very Happy   I have too much to do, and too many projects Very Happy
 I consider you to be a real man, taking care of both of your parents, I know it's not easy...
And it's good to have ya back !

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:16 am

Rough.
I was in a similar situation myself a couple of years ago.
It was bad, but a privilege at the same time. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Hang in, down the road you'll be very glad you did.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:55 pm

I gotta hand it to ya Bill, Pila. 85 and still spinning wrenches on a 500 inch caddy motor of all things. YOU GO!!! You seem to be savvy with the internet as well. I do hope you are around for a while yet. I saw your age on your avatar but thought it was a type-O. My Dad is 84. He still spins some wrenches but not as much as he once did. He cuts alot of firewood, keeps him going. He never did get the hang of the internet or a PC. Smart phone? forget it..
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Glad to see you back.

Thoughts/prayers en route, of course......

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc
"Seems like it's been forever that you've been gone" | Fort Minor | 'Where'd You Go?'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Man Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:24 am

You're doing the right thing,and you're being a good son keep up the fight and prayers for you and family

Carolina Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down