G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paint for steering/brake components?

4 posters

Go down

Paint for steering/brake components? Empty Paint for steering/brake components?

Post by wbaker01 Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Surprised I did not see any posts about this but I am looking for paint recommendations for my steering (tie rods, centerlink, etc.)/brake components (spindles, dust covers, etc.)

Would prefer to buy able to buy something locally and for it to be a spray can.

I'm not building a show car but one that will see quite a few miles once completed so I'm not really hung up on having factory correct colors/finishes, I'm more concerned with durability...

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Paint for steering/brake components? Empty Re: Paint for steering/brake components?

Post by fasrnur Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Of course Bill epoxy would be the paint that would probably hold up the best for what you want to do, but I don't think it comes in a spray can. I think there might be some spray cans of chassis black out there that would do a decent job. If the components are bare steel, I would spray a self etching primer on it first to get a better adhesion for the paint.

Of course, these are just my opinions.
Jeff
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Paint for steering/brake components? Empty Re: Paint for steering/brake components?

Post by Joe73 Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Bill, Id leave the linkage alone. Everything else I'd shoot with spray can epoxy. For these smaller parts like the spindles and such, I like summit racings chassis shield. In the spray can its a one step epoxy and comes in flat, satin and gloss.

The chassis shield in the quart cans is a 2 part epoxy and is great stuff. I did my whole frame and firewall after blasting with the stuff. Even a cheap harbor freight gun will lay it down nice.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks guys for the thoughts..

I did the frame with por-15 and then por 15-topcoat so I have the frame done..I actually have a fair amount of por 15 left over so I could use it up until it is gone..

Since the frame is semi glass black, has anyone done their suspension in a color other than black?

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:39 pm

I did it all in satin. I'm not a fan of por-15. Theres too many steps in the instructions to "prep" the metal before it does what it claims to do.

Did you do the acid prep then the acid etch and then soap and water? Before putting on the por-15?

But I have to say that their gas tank sealer works REAL good. But you still have to do all the steps. It makes a nice bladder in your tank. I've used it on trucks and atv's with great results.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Joe73, sure did, I'm not a fan either of all of the steps but usually the end result is nice. KBS Coatings is also very similar and has the some pre-requisite steps.

I'm a bit limited here as to how far I can go with painting, etc. since our garage is attached and if things get too smelly, the wife complains. Things are a bit easier in nice weather but this time of year is rough..

Last edited by wbaker01 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:26 pm

I hear ya. My garage is attached to the house as well. When I'm painting or using strong chemicals I turn on the portable 30" drum fan in front of the garage door. Sucks everything right out.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:46 pm

A friend was doing a major body off on an S-10, and I gave him the quart of POR15, since he was already using it. I didn't want to deal with it.
A few others told me they had some problems with it, so I did my Elco, with the body off, with Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer and Rustoleum semi-flat black color, ...easy to touch-up the paint nicks from the floor jack etc.. That was after the body & frame were sand blasted.
Suspension & steering parts were also painted with it...
I'm sure that there are good products available for doing this, that I'm not aware of..and also, I'm cheap ! Very Happy ....then again not too cheap...the paint etc for the body was over $ 1300 bucks !! Sad Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down