G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Found this on line! Boy this guy hates G3's

+11
Blazerteam
relic7680
knightfan26917
77mali
Damon23
1975 S3
pila
Roadcaptain S3
thatfnthing
SSTOOLMAN
Mcarlo77
15 posters

Go down

Found this on line! Boy this guy hates G3's Empty Found this on line! Boy this guy hates G3's

Post by Tom77 Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:12 am

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/curbside-classic-gms-deadly-sin-76-1976-chevrolet-malibu-classic/

Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Found this on line! Boy this guy hates G3's Empty Re: Found this on line! Boy this guy hates G3's

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:45 am

And, of course, he had to showcase a weathered and battered Malibu for his photo comparison. Personally, I wouldn't have driven that Accord if it was given to me.

I do get tired of hearing how huge these cars are compared to earlier models. Yes, they were heavier...but, fact checking specs vs a '70 Chevelle 2-dr, shows they have the same wheel base and the '76 Malibu is .4" wider (yep...less than 1/2"). They are longer by around 8-9"...but, that undoubtedly is due to the large 5 mph bumpers. Tuck the bumpers and you've got comparably sized vehicles.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Found this on line! Boy this guy hates G3's Empty Re: Found this on line! Boy this guy hates G3's

Post by SSTOOLMAN Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:18 am

Its funny he didn't have an accord pictured next to the Malibu so you could compare styling... Oh yeah he couldn't probably couldn't find one still on the road!
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:25 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:And, of course, he had to showcase a weathered and battered Malibu for his photo comparison.  Personally, I wouldn't have driven that Accord if it was given to me.

I do get tired of hearing how huge these cars are compared to earlier models.  Yes, they were heavier...but, fact checking specs vs a '70 Chevelle 2-dr, shows they have the same wheel base and the '76 Malibu is .4" wider (yep...less than 1/2").   They are longer by around 8-9"...but, that undoubtedly is due to the large 5 mph bumpers.  Tuck the bumpers and you've got comparably sized vehicles.

I was thinking the same thing old Malibu and bright shiny Honda. Only Hondas I see like that on the road like that anymore are painted lime green and use a 3 lb coffee can for a muffler.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Ignoring the fact that the author has a crystal clear bias, he also conveniently ignores the the logistics of the car industry at the time.  Computer modeling, CNC, and robotic production facilities were not things back then, so it took an average of 5 years to go from a blank sheet of paper to a car at the dealership, and it required a lot of work by a lot of people.  So the G3's had already been in development for years when the one-two punch of regulations and oil crisis hit.  The Big 3 could not simply stop on a dime and revamp their entire product lines in 15 minutes.  The true edge the Japanese had was that they were already making econo-boxes for their existing markets.  They were simply in the right place at the right time to start shipping cars over to meet the new American demand.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:39 pm

I read that a long time ago. I thought I commented, but I don't see it.

Every car has haters. But the 70s cars in general get a lot more positive comments in the last few years than they used to.

Hemmings in particular has been featuring a LOT of 70s cars on their Blog and "find of the day" feature lately

The stories are good and the comments that follow are generally positive, minus the usual poo-pooers who I'm sure are he same kind of asshats I mentioned in the other thread.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/01/30/found-in-a-car-corral-1977-buick-century/

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/index.php/2014/01/21/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1977-buick-regal-sr/#comments-block

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/?p=768992

This series is following the build of a 74 Apollo.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/index.php/tag/project-apollo/
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:47 pm

That gentleman ( I use the word loosely)  really wouldn't know a good car, even if it ran over him ! Very Happy

I'm being nice today !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 1975 S3 Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:33 am

Fake news
1975 S3
1975 S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:44 am

The article is old but I would be curious to know what he drove back then and now. I bet he just needed a article, had a accord like that and pulled the Malibu out of a quick online search and went at it. I agree, he could have found a nicer one to compare.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:50 am

Ha! Hater's gonna hate. He can suck it Jacking
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:38 pm

LOL!

I remember this article from ~7 years ago! It sure made the rounds back in 2010.....

Wonder if the writer ever changed his opinion? Heh.

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc
"When you slammed the front door shut, a lot of others opened up" | Chris Daughtry | 'Over You'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by relic7680 Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:06 pm

I've known quite a few pre-'73 guys to rag on these cars, but like an earlier poster pointed out, they're really not much bigger or heavier. And everybody seems to forget gross vs. net hp. Their time is coming now....
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazerteam Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:17 am

Well,i think this article was how lots of people thought about 70 ies cars in 2010.As of today,i think it would have been different.

Blazerteam
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:15 am

Who cares what some dude thinks?. We all have cars we dont like. Sometimes cars others drool over. Usually someone is not taking the time to write about 40 year old cars in a bad light though. You know what you have its all that matters.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:14 pm

If others hate my car so be it. The more that dont like it the lower the Price on parts and cars. Someday others will see Their pontetial and wish they had one. But there is just to Many people that stick with the older chevelles or camaro out of fear to be different. I personally is tired of the same camaros at the car shows. In my opinion its not a Challenge to restore a mainstream classic, as you can just buy a whole car in a catalog. However restoring a g3 is a whole other story. As finding the parts you need takes more than a catalog. But anyway i dont really care i like it.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 am

Hs1973 wrote:If others hate my car so be it. The more that dont like it the lower the Price on parts and cars. Someday others will see Their pontetial and wish they had one. But there is just to Many people that stick with the older chevelles or camaro out of fear to be different. I personally is tired of the same camaros at the car shows. In my opinion its not a Challenge to restore a mainstream classic, as you can just buy a whole car in a catalog. However restoring a g3 is a whole other story. As finding the parts you need takes more than a catalog. But anyway i dont really care i like it.

I agree. I belong to a Chevelle club and there are allot of the same year and model cars. I like being differant. When you are at shows or just driving around you always get the thumbs up or somebody who knew somebody who had one.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rosco77 Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:55 pm

I gotta say who really cares? I am not working on this car for someone else. This is MY car and I'm building it for ME because it's what I want to build. I've always done things a little different than most anyhow. I loved the reaction I got on fakebook from the people I went to school with when I posted pics of this car not too long ago. Just about every one of them was surprised we still had the car and we started sharing memories of me driving it around town.
rosco77
rosco77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down