G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb suggestion

5 posters

Go down

Carb suggestion  Empty Carb suggestion

Post by JF74chevelle Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 pm

So for my build I have a 350 block 4-bolt bore .040 over, new cam bearings new freeze plugs and surfaces decked flat and ready for assembly. I'm going to run a eagle rotating assembly with flat tops with 4-valve reliefs. Cam will be Comp cam XE274 flat tappet with Brodix 180cc IKs. Did the math and will have around 9.7:1 compression. And up top I will run my EPS performer. But the catch is right now I have an edelbrock 600cfm 1406. Is this carb to small for this set up? If I need a new carb for max performance I was going to go with a Holley 650. So is the 600 too small for this application? Thanks-Justin
I have been discussing this with my dad and we both are not sure if the 600 would be too small.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Carb suggestion  Empty Re: Carb suggestion

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Carb is good to start with.  The RPM that you will get with that cam, head, and intake combo will be pretty much maxed out in the real world around 6000rpm.  I would guess your transmission is automatic.  A vacuum secondary 650/670 Holley should be the ticket for you.  For your budget for now, use the 600.

Go look at this and put your information in. Scroll down the page and the carburetor configuration part will help you out.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:27 pm

REVINKEVIN wrote:Carb is good to start with.  The RPM that you will get with that cam, head, and intake combo will be pretty much maxed out in the real world around 6000rpm.  I would guess your transmission is automatic.  A vacuum secondary 650/670 Holley should be the ticket for you.  For your budget for now, use the 600.

Go look at this and put your information in.  Scroll down the page and the carburetor configuration part will help you out.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/
I have a Muncie four speed.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Which heads ?? Head CCs will determine your CR with the flat top pistons. Even with the 76 CC heads, the flat-tops will help some...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:08 pm

64cc with flat tops +6.10 dome
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:06 am

If the 600 is in good shape I'd run that for a while. If I have the chance to use a carb or distributor that is know to run good on a new engine, I use it. Easy to change either out after break in. I dont like to run into a carb or dist. problem when I'm trying to fire it up for the first time.

When all is running good. For you combo on the street, I'd run a 650 with vacuum secondaries. And I prefer an adjustable vacuum secondary kit. So you can fine tune when they come in. Real easy to switch out springs and get rid of any bog upon secondary opening or when they open too soon.

I ran a Holley 650 MECHANICAL secondary double pumper on my engine with 4.10 and muncie. Not great on the street but ok. My new engine will have a vacuum secondary carb on it but bigger.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks for the input joe, that is a really good point of running a carb that you know will run good when trying to break in the motor
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:55 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Use the 600.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast