G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 engine harness. Might have found another "73 only" item.

Go down

73 engine harness.  Might have found another "73 only" item. Empty 73 engine harness. Might have found another "73 only" item.

Post by Joe73 Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:20 pm

Question.  I'm comparing my original NON A/C, 73 ENGINE harness to another A/C, 73 ENGINE harness.  Both from SS cars but that shouldnt matter at all.  

One thing that I noticed was that my original harness, car build date first week of January 1973, Has a short, plug in, harnesses, one on each side, just for the bumper marker light.  Both harnesses have a fat rubber grommet that pops into a hole. vertically, in the rad support.  So basically this short harness goes through the rad support and is protected by the rubber grommet.  

Now my other harness, A/C car (shouldnt matter), does not have the plug in harnesses.  There's just convoluted tubing with the bulb sockets on the end of the wires.  Nice and direct.  It does not pass through the rad support.

Never noticed this before on all the 73's I've parted out.  I do have another 73 harness squirreled away but I dont feel like digging for it to compare.  I'd have to locate the trim tags for these other two harnesses just to confirm build dates.  I'm willing to bet GM discontinued the short parking light harness later in the run to save money.  

And on another note, I noticed that M&H electrical (who makes some real nice original harnesses) lists the short parking light harnesses for the 73 year.  But not for 74.

Anyone run into this?  I'm thinking of selling my spare harnesses.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

73 engine harness.  Might have found another "73 only" item. Empty Re: 73 engine harness. Might have found another "73 only" item.

Post by Joe73 Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:03 pm

And one other thing. I know the 73 horn relay is a one year only thing but the 72 is very similar. My original horn relay mounting tab is all metal. The horn relay in my A/C harness has a plastic mounting tab.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down