G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are they worth it?

+5
clanceman427
impalamonte
Mcarlo77
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Roadcaptain S3
9 posters

Go down

Are they worth it? Empty Are they worth it?

Post by SSTOOLMAN Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:19 am

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/d/chevelle-swivel-bucket-seats/6328430833.html
$800 for driver quality seats?
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Are they worth it? Empty Re: Are they worth it?

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Guy needs a reality check. Must have called Desert Valley Auto Parts to get comparative pricing...lol! He'll be lucky to get half that. I could run out today and get a clean set (needing new covers, of course) for $300.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Yeah, they seem high to me too. Plus, I'd want closeups of those cushions (the right one looks like it has a tear in the first photo) and the side seems that always split.

And what the hell does he mean by 'strip and dip'?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:01 pm

[quote=And what the hell does he mean by 'strip and dip'?[/quote]

I'm thinking the swivel platforms. They look kind of crusty underneath.

I'm not saying they aren't a good set of swivel buckets...just, that there seems to be plenty of them if you look on Craigslist and e-Bay for WAY less. I know the salvage yard I visit has had a couple of decent sets sitting inside the cars in their yard for over 2-3 yrs and they can't get them sold for $300. Often see others for $250-$300 sitting on local Craigslist unsold for weeks or months on end. I've sold a couple sets about as nice as these and it was all I could do to get $250 after many weeks on Craigslist.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:38 pm

I don't know. They are around, but usually the feet are rusted off or the upholstery is completely shot. And the upholstery ain't cheap either.

Here's whats available locally:

Similar to these for $700
https://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/d/swivel-buckets-73-monte-carlo/6311479348.html

Shot to **** for $400
https://lexington.craigslist.org/pts/d/chevelle-swivel-bucket-seats/6301757663.html

I think these guys are gougers, but these things are really getting harder to find around here at a decent price and in decent shape.

I think the days of finding them relatively cheap are over in some parts of the country.

MC77, might be a good idea to go grab those at the scrap yard?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:39 pm

You may be right about prices being higher in some parts of the country. I just don't have any confidence in being able to sell a set for any more than $250-$300 based on past experiences and what I see in the listings around here.  Thing is, if those seats for $800 have any wear no matter how minor, they aren't any different than a set whose covers are tattered.  A new owner is going to want to re-cover them.

I have followed prices on these pretty closely the past few years and here are three typical examples in our general 5-state area:

https://rmn.craigslist.org/pts/d/73-77-gm-swivel-bucket-seats/6326187249.html

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/pts/d/chevy-monte-carlo-swivel/6332447271.html

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/pts/d/73-77-gm-swivel-bucket-seats/6310297632.html
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Must be something about Minn that you guys have all the best junk...like my bumper Smile I kinda hate ya.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:34 pm

A yard up here got in a '75 Cutlass this summer that has those reversible cushion swivel buckets. Kinda cool...but, you aren't going to find aftermarket seat covers for those...lol!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:17 pm

All the 74 and 75 Laguna's with vinyl interior that I've seen didn't have buttons and had the perforated vinyl. I'm thinking this pattern is for a Monte??? Regardless, these are pretty pricey considering the headrest is deformed from being stored upside down for who knows how long. The last set I sold on Ebay which were in better condition than these I sold for $350.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:20 am

Also guys....they are more a novelty item. People always ask " did your have the swivels".....

Those of us that have spent time behind the wheel know....they're not comfortable seats!!
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:37 am

I guess I might be in the minority, but I find them to not only be practical to get in and out of, but also comfortable with the proper upgrades. I used new seat foams with mine and a little memory foam for added comfort and the cool factor is always apparent at the car shows. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Are they worth it? Front_10

Last edited by g3chevy on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:52 am

Agree with the cool factor. I've never found them to be uncomfortable; although, I've never driven long distances in them.  They do just fine for me on those weekend cruise-arounds.  
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:25 am

Guess I've have got too soft with the convenience of modern seating and the ability to recline....as with my current set-up.
I didnt mind the swivels during my 20's.....but now in my 40's.....
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:45 am

impalamonte wrote:Guess I've have got too soft with the convenience of modern seating and the ability to recline....as with my current set-up.
I didnt mind the swivels during my 20's.....but now in my 40's.....

Yeah, I think that's the crux of it -- our bodies change over time and what feels comfortable now is not the same as it used to be. I still find my swivels comfy, but 30 pounds years ago they used to be positively snuggly. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:A yard up here got in a '75 Cutlass this summer that has those reversible cushion swivel buckets.  Kinda cool...but, you aren't going to find aftermarket seat covers for those...lol!  

Reversible? That's a thing? scratch
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:43 pm

thatfnthing wrote:
Mcarlo77 wrote:A yard up here got in a '75 Cutlass this summer that has those reversible cushion swivel buckets.  Kinda cool...but, you aren't going to find aftermarket seat covers for those...lol!  

Reversible?  That's a thing? scratch

Yes, Olds had them.  The seat back and base had inserts that you could "reverse" for 2 different seat patterns.

Are they worth it? Olds_r10

Are they worth it? Olds_p10
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Wow, that's cool! Never seen those in the wild.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:34 pm

g3chevy wrote:I guess I might being in the minority, but I find them to not only be practical to get in and out of, but also comfortable with the proper upgrades. I used new seat foams with mine and a little memory foam for added comfort and the cool factor is always apparent at the car shows. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Are they worth it? Front_10

X2 I love mine. I have the velour seat and back insert style. New foam was in stalled at the same time the new covers were put on.
Its seams like everytime someone new is in my car it only takes a few seconds for them to say Comfy seats!
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:07 am

I've got to chime in here and say the are more comfortable than the bench I pulled out more comfortable than the seats in my kids G6 and my current Nissan daily driver, I only wish mine were cloth not vinyl. My wife with her bad hip says the swivel is the easiest car seat to get in and out of.

As for price yest over the top I think. I found my set with new upholstery on them for $600 Canadian, that included the matching rear bench and the console with the shifter plus some other odds and ends in the deal. These seats looked practically brand new on the upholstery side of things.

I did need to get a second set to donate parts like levers ends and a base that was less sloppy / worn for the drivers seat but that was another $80 Canadian.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by black eyes Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:28 am

yes my 73 laguna has them reverse pattern in black going to be selling 3 sets pluse the car and parts in a bit just a heads up will list what i have once i tear down my car interior\exterior, bumper,dash cluster ect ect

black eyes
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum