G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

epoxy

4 posters

Go down

epoxy Empty epoxy

Post by 73ss Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Anyone recommend a good epoxy to glue the lower console base? I have a crack where the front of the shifter mounts. I epoxied it some years ago but it didn't hold up. Thanks for any input.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

epoxy Empty Re: epoxy

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 am

One idea if you want the repair to look nice is to bond a thin gauge reinforcing strip to the back side of the crack (if that's possible in your case).  Theory holds (for me, anyway) that this gives more surface area for which the glue can adhere...and, strengthens the area at the crack from flexing and breaking the bond. For me, when I do a repair, I don't want the visible area to look like I've done a repair by having a glob of glue at the seam. And, it's near impossible to make a simple, long-lasting repair by just gluing the crack together without doing that.

If aesthetics isn't an issue, some say Q-Bond is a good glue for plastic. It's not an epoxy...rather, a super glue with colored powder to be added. Suppose you could achieve the same results using super glue from the hardware store and mixing baking soda with it. I've seen videos of that being done when repairing dashes. It can be sanded down and feathered out, but that diminishes the surface bonding area and strength IMO.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 pm

If you have access to the rear where it wont be noticeable, then I would recommend 3M Marine 5200. There is a 4200 which works just as well but dries a bit quicker. Home Depot usually stocks both.

5200 takes 48 hours to tack and 7 days to cure. It will dry even underwater. It dries to a non tacky kind of like silicone. But you wont get it off. Its used to assemble boat decks to hulls. Impervious to everything.

If you have access to the back, scuff up the area, smear some on and support the piece so the crack is closed nice and tight. Let dry.

Its awesome stuff that remains flexible in all conditions.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I'll get some of the marine stuff. I have access to the back and it will not be visible once the upper console is put on. I think I can bond a metal strip to it. The front part of the shifter mounts to the console only. High stress point. Dumb idea. The back part of the shifter mounts to the floor.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by ECkingo Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Super glue trick I got offline.

Get super glue normal or jell.
Get a box of Arm and Hammer baking soda

Glue as needed and sprinkle areas glued with a small amount of the baking soda. Instantly it will harden. It is much harder than normal, no mess and if you need to build up a crack you can do this multiple times until the crack is filled. You can easily sand down. Full cure happens in 10-15 minutes. I've fashioned broken parts I could not find into better than new strong items using this method. Also, no more stuck on your fingers!!!

Last edited by ECkingo on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
ECkingo
ECkingo
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum