G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headliner Glue

3 posters

Go down

Headliner Glue Empty Headliner Glue

Post by Hawk03 Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:59 am

I installed a new headliner last fall, the install went good and everything seemed fine. I drove my car to work last week and the headliner came unglued at the back window and a little bit on the sides. I used 3M headliner glue and didn't have any issues when I installed it. Itl was hot, around 90, the day I drove it so I'm guessing the heat loosened up the glue and it came undone. What is the best way to re-glue the headliner back up? Should i try and clean the area of the old glue or buy a different glue? I don't want to re-glue using the same processed I did before only for it to become undone again. Any tips or suggestions is appreciated.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Headliner Glue Empty Re: Headliner Glue

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:10 pm

That glue would definitely fail here in Houston. It's supposed reach triple digits today. Did you use spray adhesive? I know the spray cans are typically geared towards the newer foam board headliners. The brushable headliner glue is what I used when I installed my headliner on my 76 SS El Camino and it was fine after several hot summers down hear. Here's the stuff I recommend when you re-glue it.

Headliner Glue Headli10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks Bill! I just purchased some. Yes I used the 3M spray adhesive in a can.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Hawk ,

When I installed mine ,I went to ACE hardware and bought small plastic one way locking push tabs( similar to those holding the roof rail weatherstrip ends to the car). I drilled very small holes in the inner structure of the roof at evenly measured points and they were hidden under the surrounding trim. As I stretched the headliner I pushed through the vinyl to hold. I has proved to be a very robust install. No issues in 3 years.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks Mark, thats a good idea. I will try the new glue first and then start drilling if the glue doesn't hold. I'm always afraid of drilling holes and over doing it.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum