G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alternator light, heater blower relat & fuses

3 posters

Go down

alternator light, heater blower relat & fuses Empty alternator light, heater blower relat & fuses

Post by pila Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:19 pm

So,  the heater blower quit "blowing".  And at the same time, the "gen" light came on, even though the alternator was charging OK.  I have been through this same situation before, and remembered that the heat/AC fuses affected the Gen light.  My first thought, ( the wrong one) was the high-blower relay, which also switches of the lower speed resistors, which I replaced with a new one I had.  That turned out to have another problem. There is an inline fuse in the red power wire , running to that relay.  The plastic disintegrated when I wanted to check the fuse in it.   So, I had some heavy duty inline fuse holders & replaced it.  This factory inline fuse isn't shown on the electrical schematic for the '77 El Camino, for some reason (?)
 Anyway, getting to the fuses in the fuse block, nothing looked unusual.  So I checked power on both sides of some fuses, and discovered that the heater 25 amp fuse didn't have power one one side.  When I went to remove the fuse, moving it made things work !  Not totally sure why, but putting a new fuse in made all OK !  Fuse I took out checked fine ...  I poked around on the fuse clips to see if it would act up, but it didn't  ! Question
Way too cold here to have no blower for heat & defrost !! Wink   Of course these things happen when it's winter !!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

alternator light, heater blower relat & fuses Empty Re: alternator light, heater blower relat & fuses

Post by ant7377 Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:37 am

Could of been the fuse is no good. Not blown just disintegrating. Not a bad idea to just change it since its 40 years old. One of those things that never goes bad until it does.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

alternator light, heater blower relat & fuses Empty Re: alternator light, heater blower relat & fuses

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 am

I've had that happen. That's just one reason I got rid of all the old barrel fuses. Another is that they would develop corrosion inside the clips where its really difficult to see or get at -- jostling the fuse can make things magically work again, but it's only a matter of time til it acts up again.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:11 pm

YUP!! My fuse block looks like new yet, so I was surprised at what looked to be good.....wasn't ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down