G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car Washing the '73 to '77?

4 posters

Go down

Car Washing the '73 to '77? Empty Car Washing the '73 to '77?

Post by jerry46765 Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:17 pm

Hello -

So I haven't washed a vinyl top car in decades. I do remember how water would lay in the Chevelle's back window track, and around the trunk lid. It appears all around the vinyl top is a water trap. We washed cars last weekend and I am sure my kid thought my OCD tendencies came out when trying dry the car. I got the air compressor out and I was blowing water out of every nook and cranny. He would follow and wipe away the water. I must have gone around the back window, quarter windows, and vinyl top trim 50 times. Water kept coming out from everywhere. Anyone have any tips or tricks to keep from rotting our cars our further from a simple car wash? Anyone use one of those fancy high speed blowers to get one dry?

Thank you -

jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Car Washing the '73 to '77? Empty Re: Car Washing the '73 to '77?

Post by Keith Seymore Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:19 am

jerry46765 wrote:Hello -

So I haven't washed a vinyl top car in decades.  I do remember how water would lay in the Chevelle's back window track, and around the trunk lid.  It appears all around the vinyl top is a water trap.  We washed cars last weekend and I am sure my kid thought my OCD tendencies came out when trying dry the car.  I got the air compressor out and I was blowing water out of every nook and cranny.  He would follow and wipe away the water.  I must have gone around the back window, quarter windows, and vinyl top trim 50 times.  Water kept coming out from everywhere.  Anyone have any tips or tricks to keep from rotting our cars our further from a simple car wash?  Anyone use one of those fancy high speed blowers to get one dry?

Thank you -

I usually take a piece of paper towel (either folded or crumpled) and lay it on those known problem areas.

I don't know if the wicking action works better than blowing it with air but at a minimum it does keep it from dripping down the side while I go off and do something else.

K

Car Washing the '73 to '77? Attachment

Last edited by Keith Seymore on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:47 pm

I use a car blower dryer on all my vehicles, boat and quads. Its part of my car detailing arsenal. https://www.mckees37.com/car-dryer.html?utm_source=car-dryer&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=Cj0KCQjw753rBRCVARIsANe3o440frV5SwMC6ycmEl0P-hZpovTxKP86qe1Msd24AOgrzg8hMQgsgT0aAiusEALw_wcB

It works excellent!!! Yes, it will get water out of the nooks and crannys quick and easy. As for painted areas, water does not sheet off that easily UNLESS there's some wax or its a coated surface like ceramic. When I wash and dry my in-laws vehicle it takes a while because they have never waxed it. The paint feels relatively clean with some grit in it when you wipe your hand across the clean surface. They say to put your hand in a plastic bag and wipe your clean paint. If you feel grit or the bag tends to stick to the paint, there's no coating or wax left. I ceramiced all my vehicles except my boat and truck so far. That McKees blower will have my ceramic cars dry in less than 10 minutes with nothing coming out of the nooks and crannys.

There's quite a few videos around testing car blower dryers if you want to do some research. I recommend it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:12 pm

Joe -

I looked at some of the videos. It looks much higher velocity than an air hose.
So you don't pre-dry or wipe down the car at all? Just start blasting the car?
I could see where dull finish that won't bead water could take forever. That describes my fleet...

It's funny, I remember Wayne Carini using that thing. Now I know.

Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 pm

I wouldnt say the velocity is higher than an air hose which is usually around 90-100 psi. But an air hose is more pinpoint and doesnt have the volume. A car dry moves alot of air and quickly.

I dont pre-dry nor wipe the car at all.

My process is this. I have an 1800 psi (highly doubt its really 1800) electric power washer. I power wash the car including the wheel wells with straight water. Then I put on my foam cannon attachment to the power washer. I shoot the car real quick so it looks like its covered in shaving cream. Then I use a clean chenile microfiber mitt and wipe the roof and widows, flip the mitt and do the hood. I then power wash both sides of the mitt with clean water. Then wipe the trunk lid, flip the mitt and do the top half of the side of the car. Power wash the mitt, do the top half of the other side of the car. Then I grab my other chenile microfiber mitt that I only use for the lower half of the car. I do the lower half of the side, flip the mitt, do the lower half of the other side. Done. Power wash off the car. Before I wash the car itself, I do the rims and tires. I use Purple Power from walmart diluted 4 parts water to 1 part purple power.

Sounds like alot of work but I do the whole car in about 15-20 minutes. I try to not touch the car as much as possible. Especially dark colors. Everything puts scratches in the paint. Even your bare finger. I put so much time into polishing and buffing prior to ceramic coating. Its a pain but makes a huge difference.

Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:11 pm

I've got one of those hot air car driers Wayne Carini uses. It trips the breaker in my garage. Works good though.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:02 pm

I am gonna get the Wayne Carini drier. It's as close as I will get to his lifestyle.

Joe, I need to come over and you can put me through Car Wash Boot Camp.
I am luck if I can do one car in an hour. Man, 15 - 20 minutes is rockin them out.

Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:27 am

LOL. Thats just the exterior wash with wheels. Drying is quick, then the interior takes time for the detailing.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum